We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uvita/Dominical with my daughter

Which Uvita hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pisa, Italia
Level Contributor
30 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Uvita/Dominical with my daughter

Dear guys,

During my next travel in Costa Rica in December, I planned to go also 3-4 days in the Uvita/Dominical area. This choice was driven by some comments in the forum, that commented these places as secluded and not crowded, beatiful nature and beaches.

I was thinking to go to see some beach at the Marino Ballena park. I could also go by boat for seeing whales and dolphins.

Some of you have been there and can give some more comment or idea on that region ?

What about animals there ?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
327 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uvita/Dominical with my daughter

Buon giorno Griso72!

Dominical and Uvita are nice small villages.

But in December, they also have more tourists there.

I think it worths to go anyway.

The National Park Marino Ballena will cost you 10$ for entrance.

The only problem is that:

"Humpback whales are seen in two well defined seasons from December to March from the northern hemisphere, while those from the southern hemisphere start to be seen in the first weeks of July to late October. The most commonly observed whales are the humpbacks. " -http://www.dolphintourcostarica.com/whale_and_dolphin_watching.htm#whale_and_dolphin_watching

So, at that time of the year, December, there are no whales in southern Costa Rica...well, less.

But it is a good place for snorkeling if you like. My tip: once in the park, wait for low tide and go at the end of "whale tail". When rocks finish...it's a nice place to snorkel.

Hope this help!

Enjoy your trip!

Pisa, Italia
Level Contributor
30 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Uvita/Dominical with my daughter

Dear Cris,

I don't understand, I should be there in the first days of january ? That is not the period when Humpback pass from there ?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
327 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Uvita/Dominical with my daughter

You're right! Sorry!

I speak french...than Spanish...and English is my third language...so sometimes I read wrong!

But yes, you can see whales. Look at the info:

"There are two whale watching seasons in Costa Rica. Humpback whales travel down in from December to April from the northern hemisphere, while those from the southern hemisphere start to be seen in the first weeks of July to late October. The photo on the left is called the “Whales Tale”"

A nice place
Level Contributor
828 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Uvita/Dominical with my daughter

I can really recommend the whale watching tours in Uvita. Just drive into town and you will find several tour companies. Besides the whales it is possible to see dolphins and turtles.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
478 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Uvita/Dominical with my daughter

We went to Uvita last year with our kids. We stayed at La Cusinga which we LOVED. It's a green hotel so a little more rustic in some ways but luxurious in others. Depends on what you are looking for. Wonderful view, quiet for sleeping except for the jungle sounds! There is a wonderful beach Playa Arco accessible by a trail down through the forest, worth the hike it is beautiful and very few people there. We were there at the end of December. We also went on the whale watching tour out of Uvita and saw what the tour guide said was the "first" whale of the season (with a baby). The snorkeling was not great, but my kids enjoyed it. There were fish but no amazing colored corals or anything. Loved the area!

6. Re: Uvita/Dominical with my daughter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 06, 2014