We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

toll charges

Which Uvita hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Antonio, Texas
6 posts
Save Topic
toll charges

Will be driving from San Jose to Dominical/Uvita area along the coastal route. I have read there are several toll booths along the way. Do these toll booths accept US dollars or should we convert to colones? Have also read that converting from US to colones at the airport charges a higher fee than banks, etc. Any info on that?

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: toll charges

The toll road is Autopista del Sol and yes they do take US Dollars (not coins). With the exception of the Atenas exit, each of the tolls are under $1 so you can bring some ones and be fine. (Your change will be in colones.) Don't use the Global Exchange in the airport! You can, however, use the ATM at the airport and get colones. You get off the toll road just past Orotina so once you get on the costanera enroute to the coast, you'll have no more tolls to pay.

Dominical, Costa...
Level Contributor
185 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: toll charges

There is a shortcut from the SJO terminal almost directly to the toll booth at Km 23 on the AutoPista that goes through some neighborhoods that I use both directions now. This way knocks off about 20 minutes of the drive time from the way I used to go. After you get your the car, go back to the airport to the terminal as if you are dropping someone off, take the second right (it is not the one that takes you under the main highway, you stay on the airport side of the highway). This turn has a sign to Santa Ana (although that is not where you are going) and just follow it like it as it winds around. You will get to where it puts you on road 124 (not or seldom marked). You will eventually see a blue company sign that says ICE and a bit beyond that (did not measure it yet) you get to where the main road veers to the left but you take a right on Road 721 (also not seldom marked). There is a karaoke sign on the left just before you get to this intersection. Either road will take you to the Autopista. Near Ciruelas is where you get to 721. You will get to a traffic circle (rotary) and should see the toll both. This will save you one toll booth too. There may be a route others know that uses a main highway that could be a little quicker but this is the shortest way

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,281 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: toll charges

Try to pay with bills not larger than $20.00 usd...

Road 27 is a great road...

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE..

Roadadvisor

San Antonio, Texas
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: toll charges

Thanks to all you folks for your wealth of info.

5. Re: toll charges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:30 pm, April 23, 2017
Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: toll charges

If you are in a large van you have to pay more than for a car so be aware of that. If you speak Spanish you will be in great shape everywhere, if not just pay attention to signs. Lanes end quickly so when you see Ceda on a sign the lane is ending and you need to get over. Many bridges of the main highways are one lane so be prepared, safe but go when you get there and on one is coming from the other way. Grocery store on the highway at Quepos is really the best for stocking up down in that area I think. There are smaller ones in both Dominical and Uvita so you won't be without. Almost all hotels provide breakfast so you might check that. I presume you will have GPS and cell with the car rental, both are pretty essential for tourist for sure. Lock thing up in your car if stopping or parking in public areas to be safe and when you go to the beach don't take anything you don't absolutely need so you won't have to worry about it. Best swimming is at he water falls or Bahia Bellena National park, the rest is very rough and not for those who aren't use to heavy surf swimming. All driving will take more time than you think so leave early and just enjoy the country and the wonderful people here.

Nick

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: toll charges

Sorry I meant to say many roads OFF the main highway have 1 lane bridges, big difference.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,842 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: toll charges

Fortunafood, you must have been driving a motorcycle. Did the road 27 as part of my drive to SJO about an hour ago. There are three toll booths, prices for a passenger cars are 450, 600 and 450 colones. Total driving time 3 hours 30 minutes. Have 1$ bills (~ 500 colones), other drivers will appreciate.

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: toll charges

I believe the 150 colones is just at Orotina so Foodie missed those out of SJO prior to that toll and possibly took the old Aguacate road which would have forced them out at Orotina also.

Edited: 7:27 pm, July 05, 2013
Canada
Level Contributor
3,925 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: toll charges

I always laugh when I pay the "voluntary" 100 colones toll on route 2 between San Jose and Cartago. That's about 20 cents. You can do it for less it you have. exact change - I think it is like 75 colones.we don't have many toll roads in Canada but the ones we have are like a buck a kilometer.. The USA is nuts. And yet they complain about a $29.00 exit fee. End of rant!

Edited: 9:36 pm, July 05, 2013