We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a place to stay in or near Uvita.

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
756 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a place to stay in or near Uvita.

So far we have plans made from SJO w.hotels to Uvita. I think we will be 3 nights in the area. The 1st place I thought we would like is b & J cabins. Then upon more searching fell head over heals for Tikivillas. Here on TA the price says 109.us & up. ......well that is no where near what their web site says......;( darn! So now I am looking for something inbetween. We would rather be in the jungle // forest than on the beach. We will have a car. So no worries getting to &from. Would like breakfast included, but no big resort type place / feel to it. Any suggestions?

Thank. You

KNK

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,006 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Looking for a place to stay in or near Uvita.

Yea I know. I have so many notes! I had a lot of fun at a B&B (Las Alturas de Puriscal) last year about an hour and a half out of San Jose. Run by a great ex pat Canadian couple. The horses were super healthy and it was very off the beaten path. They grow and roast their own coffee beans and it was a neat farmstay type place. I was in CR for dental work in Escazu. I'll always stay at Villa Escazu now when flying in/out of SJO from now on. Great Place, great price.

We are thinking of 2 nites there on arrival (dates still need to be decided) then on to Nuevo Arenal area for 5 nights before a wk somewhere between Uvita and Dominical. Not sure if we'll fly home from Liberia or SJO. I had a look at Las Terras de Ballena. It looks great. I was leaning toward a single family with pool not far from there on VRBO....have to think about it all and put together some reservations! We def need at least a kitchenette. I get up so early in CR since the howler monkeys are my alarm and it is light before 5:30. Makes sense to do our own breakfast/coffee (similar to yours) and just sit back as the wildlife moves about. Then we keep snacks and drinks in a cooler with us. Once the days adventure is behind us lunch can be late and dinner optional...like to be back at our place if it is a mountainous trak before or at dark which comes early there. I'm thinking in that area we'll be lucky to stay awake past 9! Roatan was different. We really enjoyed dinners out there but of course road conditions were different. I need to start researching local fishing options for the trip too. We'll try some on Lake Arenal and then the Pacific. We billfish and get mahi here but would love to catch or even see, a roosterfish! Not to mention some snapper on the bbq! I want to time our trip so we can visit the ferria (farmers mkt ) in a couple of places, Herredia while in Escazu and San Isidro on the way to the beach.....love the fresh colors and flavors of the produce and fruit and like to see the different products on offer! Happy Planning. I'll be following your posts!

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
756 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Looking for a place to stay in or near Uvita.

Yes we got the first bit down, now need to plan the 2nd. Also thinking of trying to get to Drakes passage? I think thats what its called or Drakes bay? We like sleepy little towns. But still with a few eateries & bars. I dont mind VRBO's But most request @ least a week stay. There was one near Dominical in the rain forest that I just loved 7 night min. darn. Well that just keeps us moving on to see more things. :) AHhh yes the farmers markets! Yes must find those along the way. The water melons @ the stands are to die for .Near Poas Volcano ( & I am sure other where) we should find fresh strawberry stands. Will be on the look out for that! Yes Roatan ---well when you have seen as many beaches as we have ( I am sure you too:) They start to all look & feel the same. Whenever we finally meet up we can have a real chat about that one! So this is why we are back to the rainforest & jungle. With a bit of beach thrown in here & there. A bit more adventure ( not that driving in another country isnt an adventure in itself! ) Not just heat & sand. PM me when you get your dates down--I am to assume its sooner than us? If not we will see you on the flip side. & remember---there is always Bequia :)

TC!

KNK

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,006 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Looking for a place to stay in or near Uvita.

Did you guys confirm your stay at Las Terazzas? I need to seriously get something booked for Uvita/Dominical. I did get our flights for Dec 20 arrival and Jan 3rd departure. We'll head to La Fortuna when we arrive (after picking up the 4x4 I still need to book). Hopefully our morning flight will actually arrive on time. First 2 nights at Silencio Del Campo then on to Villa Decary in Nuevo Arenal for 4 nights. From there a night in Jaco to see Friends who are moving there in Sept! That will leave us 4 or 5 nights in Uvita/Dominical. Looks like Tiki Villas is $230 a night and the kitchenette is really tiny.That might work if there was a bbq to use but I don't see one advertised and that price seems steep..Villas Alturas has been recommended..most of the places I like on vrbo seem to have really steep rocky access which would deter us from enjoying dinner out after dark...decisions decisions. Booked Peace Lodge as our splurge the last 2 nights.

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
756 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Looking for a place to stay in or near Uvita.

Yes, Hellen E-mailed me back to say....They have sold the place, but she is still working there. She also said they are doing some revamping & the place will be better than ever. All good---& she can arrange just about anything you would like to do as well....we have not used her yet, but we might. Haven't booked our 4x4 either..so much going on this summer already, haven't had the time. Ohh have to check out peace lodge. Heard some not so good things about Jaco ( sorry to say that, hope your friends fair well ) We are still looking for places further south after Uvita as well.....Gotta get some time to chill & do more reasearch. Busy busy summer.....pray we don't burn up! The fires are very close to us. Looks like we will be just missing you once again. ----one day though! We have no plans for trips ( yet ) after this one. Keep me up on where you are headed next!

Safe travels OB!!!

KNK

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,006 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Looking for a place to stay in or near Uvita.

Glad Helen is still around. We are looking at Villas Alturas in Uvita. They now have an onsite grill and much better road access. Also during "season" an on site restaurant which we like. Sounds like they all can and do book tours. I've got to get this done so I can just move on ;-) The 4x4s seem to get scarce in December.

Peace Lodge is super nice with the access to wildlife after park hours etc. We have a couple of weeks nearby down in the Keys before Dec trip. Stay safe and we'll pray CO gets some rain!

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
756 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Looking for a place to stay in or near Uvita.

Uh oh, I'd better get our 4X4 ASAP! Maybe I can do that today!! Ever used Orbitz to rent a car out of the US? Or should I just go through the agency ? Then I can move on too......

Las Terazzas road is 4WD required....but so is the road we live on in the winter :)

Are you still going further south after Uvita?

Peace Lodge looks very nice! Too far North for us upon returning to SJO though.

Always wanted to go to the Keys! K has been, one day for me. We have a couple from London in for a visit in less than 2 weeks, that should be a good time.

Thank you for thoughts of rain we need it---supposed to be 96 here today---it rarely gets that hot around these parts.

TC

KNK

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,006 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Looking for a place to stay in or near Uvita.

Finally narrowed it down. Our first choice Villas Alturas is firm about a 5 nt min on Holidays and we really wanted Uvita for 4 nights given our other plans. Our absolute favorite is Casa Caribaea...a bit more pricey at $250 per nite. It is fantastic looking and private and if it were 2 couples we would def choose Casa Caribaea for the extra $70 per nite. Even if it were for 3 people. It is exquisite. Terrazas de Ballena. Helen is the one quickly answering email so even tho there are new Owners she is still the Mgr. We wish it had a restaurant still but it does have a kitchenette and bbq for guest use.....restaurant I guess burned down! Yikes I am overthinking this! I do need to look up the recos we have for rental car. I won't use Expedia for outside the US in case of "mix ups". We are looking into using our cc with no Intl fee. Wild Rider is highly recommended here on TA and I have another ones our friends use, they have made dozens of CR visits. There is a really good topic on the right side of TA forum page regarding the pitfalls or car rental in CR/Insurance info etc. I'll let you know what the other Co is when I find those notes! This is time consuming but I'm sure will be worth it in the long run. We usually go to a place like Bequia or Roatan and have one home base! Not used to having to reserve so many but I love every area of CR I have seen so far! In the meantime we are busy enjoying Summer in Florida between work hours! Looks like another year without my Little Bequia! Got to make time to get back there!

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,006 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Looking for a place to stay in or near Uvita.

SO now we have it booked (well except one night). Arrive SJO 12/20 and pick up 4x4 from Vamos (good price, honor discount card, include cell phone and cooler-big plus- gps$8 day).

Drive to La Fortuna Silencio Del Campo first 2 nights.

Short drive to Nuevo Arenal - Villa Decary 12/22-12/25 At least one day fishing the lake and one day on a local farm visit.....wing it from there

Dec 26th undecided could add to Uvita or hopefully something different to break up the drive

Dec 27-31 at Villas Alturas in Uvita (snorkeling/fishing day, hopefully horseback to the falls and more winging it)

Jan 1&2 Jaco where our Friends will be operating a hotel- Jaco wasn't our first choice but they have been many times and we'll enjoy it I'm sure. Hoping another 1/2 day fishing

Jan 3rd back to SJO and home............sounds too brief as always!!

Hope your planning is going well. Let me know if you hit any unique spots. I'm looking to contact a local fisherman in Dominical Isidro and will pass on info if I do!

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
756 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Looking for a place to stay in or near Uvita.

WOW! You are ready! I am getting the rental car tonight...have to chat w/ K on weather we should get a manual less $n, or a automatic...w/ more power & more $$$.

Booking a place in Drakes Bay right now...3 nights there. So we can go to the National Park. Hoping to see the big kitty's. Then we have about 6 more nights to plan....We will be inland heading back to SJO. So it's not all beach, beach , beach this time....love the rain forest & the jungle just as much! I will have International on my phone when we are there. So I will update you with anything extraordinary we find! Esp. in Uvita.

We to have 3 or 4 open nights that we are not booking places to stay. Just Part of the adventure :)

Happy travels to ya!!!

KNK

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,006 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Looking for a place to stay in or near Uvita.

You sound like you are getting it done! I love that Vamos Rent A Car honors the discount card and also they include a cooler with each rental. Never know when we may find some fresh seafood along the way and I have learned to travel with zip locs and ice. We are looking at the BEGO which will run about $80 more than the Jimmy for 2 wks..same thing with shift... I also really wanted to just "wing" some nights but with the Holidays being max occupancy we won't have that luxury this trip. SO many great looking places to stay. We decided against Peace Lodge as it will be pricey and busy over Christmas. I'm looking for one more night between Nuevo Arenal and Uvita...Rio Perdido is opening up some new cabinas, not sure if we can get one or not for just one night. looks like a nice spot........happy planning!!