We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update of our Trip

orange county, ca
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Update of our Trip

Well, it was amazing! I don't have a ton of time, so I'm just going to give the highlights.

1- We rented an amazing house through vrbo in the Jungle above Ojachal # 326107. However, 4x4 is a must and it is quite the dirt road. The house was such a great place to stay. We picked up groceries for breakfasts and snacks. LOVED it for reading, relaxing and swimming in the pool.

2- We were there July 9-16. I expected a bit of rain every day, but we got more than that. One day, we couldn't do anything except nap and read at the house. We did leave the house for awhile, but then the small creek flooded out the road and we had to wait hours to get back. Other than that, we got to do all our fun activities (mostly in the rain) but no beach etc.

3- "Towns" is a generous term for Uvita, Ojachal, etc. I wasn't expecting much, but they are really really tiny. I loved it, but know that there is not much available in terms of shopping etc. even souveneirs.

4- We ate at San Clemente's (not so great and the waitress never brought us back our change... weird), Citrus (very yummy!!!!) and my favorite, Exotica. I ate there twice. I crave the passion fruit sorbet. sigh. We also thought the ceviche stand on the way to Ojachal that had the "fried fish" sign was excellent. Most of our excursions included at least lunch. My husband is very picky and so the first time I packed him a sandwich. No need. The lunches that were included in all 4 of our adventures were AMAZING and super yummy!!!!

5- Sharon McIver, in Ojachal, has a spa set up on her property. Both my husband and I had massages there. She was amazing and I would highly recommend her! mciver@racsa.co.cr.

6- River rafting on the Sevegre- Dominical Surf Adventures. They were TERRIFIC and we had an amazing time. I would use them for any of their trips!

7- Ziplining- the day we were going to zipline it rained and rained. We were supposed to go with Osa Mountain, but in the end it didn't work out. So, last minute, on our way to the airport, we went with a company out of Quepos. They were great. Wish I could remember who it was:(

8- Horseback riding with Don Lulos Naucaya. So fun! Maybe my favorite thing. I wear contacts and I have learned my lesson from previous trips. Bring goggles! It made a world of difference. The horses were fun and quite frisky, the ride was beautiful, the guides were fun and helpful, the food was soooo good and the waterfalls were unbelievable. Do this for sure!j

9- Our friends did SCUBA and said it was good. Not a huge dive destination, but still fun if you have the time.

That's about it. Can't wait to go back! Thanks to everyone who answered by millions of questions.

Mentioned in this post
Quepos
Quepos
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Update of our Trip

Hi Myos,

For Exotica the finest restaurant in the area IMO, good for special meal. For dinner two starters and two mains about $70 (with wine approx US$ 100 for 2 ppl) you can see the reviews here: tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g1022300…

Citrus similar prices, many fans (but not me): tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g1022300…

The Cervice from the stand is about $3 - $4 each

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Update of our Trip

Prices at Citrus and Exotica (which are relatively expensive but worth it) are in the $15-25 per entree range. In other words, not unlike DC or Seattle, which I assume means not unlike Vancouver.

For the future: When trying to follow up on a months-old posting, a Private Message would improve your odds.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
72 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Update of our Trip

A lot of people that go to this area and don't rent a 4 x 4 are unhappy. If you read the hotel reviews you'll see what I mean. The area is fairly undeveloped and remote. The best places are places that require a vehicle to get to them or you're going to spend a lot of time walking from bus stop to wherever it is you want to go. There are buses but only on the main road.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
72 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Update of our Trip

We live in Chicago and find that none of the restaurants are as expensive as it is to eat out in Chicago. So we get there and think it's really cheap. However, if you are from anyplace else, Costa Rica is not the cheapest place to visit. For the best restaurants plan to spend around $80-100 with alcohol for two people. A less expensive place could be $40-50 with alcohol or even cheaper.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
15. Re: Update of our Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, October 15, 2012