We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggested itinerary...

San Diego...
2 posts
Save Topic
suggested itinerary...

Hi all,

I am trying to create my itinerary for Costa Rica. I will be flying into San Jose and definatley want to do the Monteverde forests, Manuel Antonio, Arenal hot springs, and we want to end with a couple of days in Uvita. However, I am very confused on how to plan this trip. We will most likely be hiring a driver or be taking internal flights. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Monteverde
Monteverde
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
901 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Uvita
Uvita
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,220 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suggested itinerary...

HUmmm interesting itinerary...let me try...

SJO...Arenal...boat jeep boat to Monteverde...all the way to Uvita...way back stop in Manuel Antonio then to SJO...

I just drove a couple days ago a great couple from Orlando Florida to Hotel Rancho Pacifico...incredible views good road...you need a 4x4...please engaged the 4x4 by the Costa Rica Bank in Uvita...even if you think you are not going to need it...the last hill getting to the hotel is somenthing lese...and if you are not familiar driving a 4x4...you can have some scary time...many hotels in the areas in steep hills...

roadadvisor

roadadvisor

Mentioned in this post
Juan Santamaria Intl Airport
Juan Santamaria Intl...
San Jose, Costa Rica
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
901 Reviews
Monteverde
Monteverde
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Rancho Pacifico
Rancho Pacifico
551 Reviews
Uvita, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Uvita
Uvita
Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suggested itinerary...

It would be Arenal & Monteverde (as Roadadvisor pointed out) then down to Uvita, about 5 hours drive from Arenal. If you are flying then use Quepos or Palmar Sur for the airport. It is about 50 min by taxi or car from either location. Have you considered renting a car? Uvita area (Costa Ballena) is quite spread out so it would give you more freedom to explore the various beaches, waterfalls, parks, etc. You could rent your car in Arenal and drive to Uvita or from Quepos at the airport to save yourself the transfer cost. depending were you are staying in Uvita you will need 4x4.

Mentioned in this post
Monteverde
Monteverde
Uvita
Uvita
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
901 Reviews
Quepos
Quepos
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
72 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suggested itinerary...

It may be too late - not sure when you are going. However, if it's not... You probably won't be happy if you are in Uvita without a car. There is not much to Uvita yet. Domincal is more of a town (think lots of hippies from around the world with the appropriate bars, shops and restaurants to service said hippies) than Uvita with lots that you can walk to. It's not my scene but it would be a better choice if you don't have a car. There are some buses and taxis but they are few and far between. You really need a 4 x2 or 4x4 for the area. It's remote and the best stuff is challenging for a gringo like me to get too. That's part of the charm.

Mentioned in this post
Uvita
Uvita
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: suggested itinerary...

I would do Monteverde first by land then take the shared land and boat transfer to Arenal, from arenal you can fly to Quepos or Palmar sur to go to Uvita, land to Manuel Antonio and land of flight to San Jose. Manuel antonio would be last as it is closer to san Jose than Uvita

Mentioned in this post
Monteverde
Monteverde
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
901 Reviews
Quepos
Quepos
Uvita
Uvita
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
5. Re: suggested itinerary...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, October 15, 2012