We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opticians in Baga/Calangute

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Opticians in Baga/Calangute

Hi everyone. We are heading out to Goa on the 30th March. I have heard that it is good value and good service obtaining glasses in Goa. I will need graduated varifocals this time and they are so expensive in England. Does anyone have any recommendations for Opticians?

Thanks a lot

Anita

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opticians in Baga/Calangute

Hi Neety95 try Romanos on Calangute main street.

london
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
9,045 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opticians in Baga/Calangute

I always go to Dangui by the temple in Calangute, i have been using him for a few years now and buy contact lenses for my daughter and her friends, plus several pairs of Glasses, i also take the frames with me and he just puts in the lenses.If you need any more info just ask. :-)) Gel

UK
Level Contributor
168 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Opticians in Baga/Calangute

I think that it is a good idea to have your eyes tested here and take the prescription with you. I had mine tested in Goa this year, the prescription is totally different to my previous UK one and I cannot wear the glasses without feeling nauseous. It was a waste of money in my case :(

london
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
9,045 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opticians in Baga/Calangute

Peckedhen i agree we always take our prescription from the UK with us and have never had any problems, the only time i had the eye test there the glasses were no good as you said they made me nauseous as well.I don't use that Optician any more started to use Dangui after that and found them better and cheaper. :-)) Gel

Penzance, United...
Level Contributor
355 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opticians in Baga/Calangute

Take a prescription from UK and Dangui in Calangute is definitely the best. Cheaper than Romanos and more efficient, and goes without saying, always busy!!

Bridlington, United...
Level Contributor
679 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Opticians in Baga/Calangute

If you use Dangui he will arrange for your eyetest to be done at the Bosio Hospital Costs about 200 R's. and it is carried out by the opthalmologist.

goa
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Opticians in Baga/Calangute

I have used Romanos since they opened 5 years ago, never has a problem, have my eyes test by their inhouse system and same script as UK.

dewsburyYorkshire
Level Contributor
4,538 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Opticians in Baga/Calangute

i always go to Romanos now after trying various others in Goa. Very efficient and frames good quality.may be a bit dearer than others but cheapest is not always the best. as i found out...)

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Opticians in Baga/Calangute

I also use Romanos - have my eyes tested & last year brought two pairs of varifocals cheaper than one pair in the UK - they were with all the extra as well

Will be having my eyes tested again there next week!

Boo

Durham
Level Contributor
359 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Opticians in Baga/Calangute

I would say Dangui, but, the Mapusa branch, wasn't to impressed with the Calangute shop a couple of years ago, got it all wrong. Tried several over the years, but well impressed with the latest from Mapusa, titanium rimless, varifocal thin lens (i have a hefty prescription) one pair as per norm and one pair reactolite, £180 all in with eye test. I'm happy.

Get answers to your questions about Baga
Recent Conversations