We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jambiani - A opinion from our experiance (Jan 2014)

Which Jambiani hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Watford, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
164 reviews
Save Topic
Jambiani - A opinion from our experiance (Jan 2014)

Unfortunately, and I'm not trying to mess with anyone's businesses on this beach, but I don't think this is the best time of year to visit (January). I'm not 100% sure though but it's worth reading up on. There's a lot of seaweed on the beach at this time of year which kinda spoils the setting. And when the wind blows from north to south Coral Rock Hotel (where stayed for two nights) seams to be the end of the line for the travelling seaweed. I gather this is seasonal and happens roughly from Nov to Feb (north to south) and around August time from south to north wind direction.

Regardless of the seaweed issue, which you can get away from if you walk south of Coral Rock Hotel for 5mins to a small beach or north for a while where the seaweed is there but not as heavy, the sand here is fabulous (under the seaweed) and the locals are great. It really has a lovely feeling about it. It's not hugely touristy but there are plenty of places to stay scattered along the long (5km) stretch of beach. I might add when the tide goes out it can look a little unpleasant as you're left with rock pools etc that I think are old coral reefs, and mind for the sea urchins!!

Regarding the seaweed as a local said to us “the seaweed doesn’t bother me because its natural. plastic water bottles and rubbish are more of an issue” Of course a very wise opinion and I agreed when he put it like that.

When we first got here and saw the seaweed we were a little disappointed. But once you get over that and go for a walk it really has a charming feel to it. Both my girlfriend and I warmed to it. We couldn't quite put our fingers on why in particular. Maybe a combination of many factors.

It's for sure a kite surfers paradise during windy seasons but I don't do that so wasn't of huge benefit.

1. Re: Jambiani - A opinion from our experiance (Jan 2014)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 05, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Jambiani