We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Causeway coast area of Northern Ireland

Kaslo, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Causeway coast area of Northern Ireland

Will the Causeway Rambler 402 still be running until the end of September? I get mixed answers from the Lonely Planet and internet sites. We are planning to spend about three or four days exploring the area but are hoping to not rent a car. How feasible is it to hop off and on the Rambler (if it's working) at various stops and do some walking in between, each day returning to a base accommodation (maybe at Bushmills).? Is this quite common?

We're also interested in the train connection from the Causeway to Londonderry. Do we need to take a bus from Coleraine to connect with the train? If so, which bus do we need to take, and does it run every day?

I found a package available (car hire/accommodation) for this area, but would prefer to use public transportation if it's fairly straightforward. If we do rent a car in Northern Ireland, is there an upper-age limit...we're in our early 70's.

Thanks for your help...we'll be in Ireland this September, and any information will be appreciated.

4 replies to this topic
North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,389 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Causeway coast area of Northern Ireland

Here is the link for the Antrim Coaster (the scenic bus which goes from Belfast to Coleraine via the Antrim Coastal Route) and the Causeway Rambler. According to this, both run until 2nd October this year.

translink.co.uk/Timetables/…

translink.co.uk/Timetables/…

In relation to the Coleraine - Derry train, the bus and train station are right beside each other in Coleraine. So the easiest thing to do is get a bus from wherever you are staying to Coleraine and then get the train from Coleraine to Derry. The train station in Derry is in the Waterside but there is a free bus for train users to the City side.

Train information is also on the translink site

translink.co.uk/NI-Railways/…

Hopefully that helps a little.

I normally would recommend hiring a car but you have ample time to allow you to explore the area by public trainsport. If people only have a day or two, it is harder.

Sorry I can't help re your age and car hire but given that they tend to add on extra charges for most things, I would say there is a good chance that they will charge you more, just as they do for young drivers (I think under 25).

Edited: 5:26 pm, July 26, 2011
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Causeway coast area of Northern Ireland

Service 402 runs to 2 Oct and terminates at Coleraine Bus station which is adjacent to the train. Note that Services 172 and 252 might be of interest as well as 140. All times at www.translink.co.uk

The iLink card might be of interest. See:

translink.co.uk/Special-Offers/…

Kaslo, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Causeway coast area of Northern Ireland

Thank you very much for your kind and informative responses to my queries. It's good to know that 402 runs until 2 Oct...looks like we just made it! Very convenient to have the train and bus stations next door at Coleraine, too, We'll work with the timetables...thanks for sending the link! It sounds like a good way to independently explore the northern coast without the hassle of car-hiring. We're looking forward to our explorations, and really appreciate your help.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Causeway coast area of Northern Ireland

Just also not that you can travel between Coleraine and Portrush by train and pick up one of the buses along the coast from there.

Reply to: Causeway coast area of Northern Ireland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted