We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best time to visit giants causeway

Dublin
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Topic
best time to visit giants causeway

I will be staying in Portrush (hopefully if i can find accommodation not having much luck so far) this Saturday and Sunday, can someone tell me which day would be better to visit the giants causeway and at what time of day, i have seen on the posts that there can be queues

Northern Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
8,549 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best time to visit giants causeway

Best time is early morning, probably around 9.30/10, to avoid the rush, it dosn't really matter what time you visit, it will be busy and is like that all year round, but the morning time is your best bet, most tourists arrive in coaches so the place is not long filling up with people, as for which day to go on, it is up to you, both will be the same.

Dublin
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: best time to visit giants causeway

thanks for that, up early then!

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: best time to visit giants causeway

You also need to think about tide times. The causeway is best seen at low tide. At high tide a lot of it is covered!

First thing in the morning is a good time but also late afternoon or early evening. The bus tours have gone and everyone is heading back for their evening meal. You could have the causeway to yourself.

As well as dropping down the path to the causeway there is also another nice walk along the tops of the cliffs above the causeway. You look down on it (and see all the tourists scurrying round like ants!). Continue and it drops you down by the organ pipes and you can rejoin the 'ants'.

If you are a photographer the morning and evening light is quite different...

Eleanor

4. Re: best time to visit giants causeway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 15, 2010