We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's Rochester Castle like........

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,295 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
What's Rochester Castle like........

For those with a fear of heights?

The reason I ask is I'd like to visit (I live fairly locally), but I read one review on here that said it wasn't for people with a fear of heights, and I hate heights. However, I did visit a couple of times as a kid and as far as I recall I had no issues. Thoughts?

7 replies to this topic
Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's Rochester Castle like........

Well, it's tall. At 113 ft tall at the top battlements, it's the tallest castle keep in England. Only you can decide if that's too high! There's plenty to see and do in Rochester to make a trip worthwhile so you can sum up the castle and if you decide it's not for you, you needn't feel like you've wasted the day. If you do go by train, it's on the 2 for 1 offers list. Check their website beforehand if the weather's like today as they close it during high winds.

Edited: 7:03 pm, January 03, 2012
Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,295 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's Rochester Castle like........

Thanks for the reply. I do go past it fairly regularly on the train up to London. I'll be on my own so the 2-for-1 offer isn't for me.

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's Rochester Castle like........

Hi Bungle, you might like to send a PM to btgm - she and her daughter went to Rochester Castle very recently, so she might be able to advise regarding the heights issue.

You can read her description of her visit (if you haven't already done so!) here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k50327…

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,295 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's Rochester Castle like........

Thanks.

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's Rochester Castle like........

I went with my daughter in this last half term

The steps are quite awkward to climb and it was windy at the top but if you avoid looking outwards there are lots of information boards to read 'inside'

It doesn't take too long to walk around, probably 30 mins but there are some pretty panoramic views to be had if you can be brave

It's open every day 10.00 - 18.00

english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/…

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,295 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's Rochester Castle like........

Thanks. :)

D J
Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What's Rochester Castle like........

I looked at the English Heritage website, but the info is pretty sparse. This one is better I think:

http://www.weekendnotes.com/rochester-castle/

Or if you want the full story from day one lol:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochester_Castle

Reply to: What's Rochester Castle like........
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rochester