We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montenegro for 3 days

Kent
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Montenegro for 3 days

Hello

Grateful for your advice/views.

We are travelling through the West Balkans next May, will be spending 3 days, 4 nights in Montenegro and am trying to put together an itinerary to cover as much as we can, we will be hiring a car.

Is the following plan feasible?

Day 1 - Arrive in Bar (after travelling from Belgrade by train)

Catch bus to Budva, stay overnight in Budva.

Day 2 - Pick up Car Hire from Budva

Visit Prcanj, Peast and Kotor

Drive to Centinje and spend three nights there

Day 3 - Visit Ostrog Monastry (should we visit anywhere else en route ?)

Day 4 - Visit Lake Skadar (anywhere else in the area ?)

Travel to Podgorica to return hire car

Questions I have : -

Is Centinje a good place to be based for touring ?

Would you recommend to stay anywhere else ?

Are any of the above places not worth a visit?

Anywhere else to recommend to visit instead ?

Thanks in advance for your input/ideas

Kim

Herceg Novi
Level Contributor
152 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montenegro for 3 days

Hi Kim,

the plan is very good but I would make some changes. For my opinion 3 days in Cetinje is too long. It's a nice small town but you can visit everything in a couple of hours ( including Mausoleum at mountain Lovcen). I would rather stayed in Kotor or Budva area day or two longer (Budva can be your base if you want to visit Kotor, Cetinje, Tivat - Porto Montenegro). Ostrog monastery and Lake Skadar sounds good. It is better to visit Rijeka Crnojevica than Virpazar on Skadar lake. On "must" list is also rafting on Tara river (second deepest canyon on the world) but since you are staying only for 3/4 days don't think that it's doable (it's whole day trip).

Hope this helps.

London
Level Contributor
46 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montenegro for 3 days

Hi Kim,

We went to Montenegro in May to research it as a new destination and I have to say we were blown away by it. It's a absolutely stunning place, just such a shame you can't spend more time there, if you could squeeze an extra day or 2 I definitely would. The coastal highlights are Budva and Kotor with the latter being the more classier of the two. Don't stay in Cetinje it's simply not a highlight. I would rent your car in Bar, drive up and spend the day in Budva before going on to Kotor, which I would use as a base to see Perast, Herceg Novi and to see the Lovcen National Park.

Lake Skadar is nice but I don't think you'll take much from it with a day visit, it's effectively a huge lake, so unless you have time to properly explore it...... Ostrog is nice but considering your lack of time I would skip it and properly take in the stunning coast.

Take a look at our new Montenegro website which might help you with making decisions untravelledpaths.com/untravelled_montenegro/… If you need any further assistance please don't hesitate to let us know.

You'll have a fabulous time!

James

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Montenegro for 3 days

Hi

Travel to Podgorica by train - if you must. Rent a car from there and drive to Big Beach Ulcinj via the lake Skadar. On this stretch stop at Scadar Lake visitors centre and have an early morning coffee. Drive through the tunnel via Bar to Ulcinj and the 12 km big beach. Spend some time there and go to a fish restaurant just before Ada centre. On the way back visit the old town Bar. Drive and stay 1 night in Petrovac. Day 2 head for Budva, drive down to Maestral or St Stefan and see if you can get in to walk around. Nice fish restaurant just beside the hotel. Drive to Budva and have a coffee in Hemingway's on just before entering the old town or in a jazz bar inside the old town. Drive off to Kotor. Explore Kotor and get up the mountain - a trail goes from the old town. Drive to Perast and have lunch on the sea front. Visit Gospa od Skrpjela and go all the way to Cetinje. There is a museum worth seeing or 2, head towards Podgorica and pop in Rijeka Crnojevica, a detour from the main road down to the lake. It is too little time 3-4 days! You will be rushing...enjoy the beach near Petrovac called Lucice. As beautiful as St Stefan but free to enter. Have a good one!

Gravesend, England...
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montenegro for 3 days

Thank you all for taking the time to reply, will definitely take all your comments on board and rearrange our itinerary

Kim x

5. Re: Montenegro for 3 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, December 14, 2013