We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help to choose a place in Montenegro.

Skopje, Republic of...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help to choose a place in Montenegro.

Hey there,

My boyfriend and I are planning to go to Montenegro for our summer holiday in mid August. But I am having hard time to choose which place to stay.

I checked Sveti Stefan, as the most forums say it is the best. I found the apartment accommodation to be at a reasonable price, but then I found that if you want to stay on the beach there, you have to play 50e per day, even if you don't use the beach chairs or parasols. That is more than the price of the apartments per day.

So I would appreciate some help on choosing some other place to stay in Montenegro. I would like to get some recomendation on where to go. As we are going by car, everything on the Adriatic coast would be ok.

What we are looking for is a nice but not too crowded beaches, nice scenery, and reasonable accommodation. Clubs and bars are not necessary. Some affordable restaurants would be nice. We want a place to relax, kind of a romantic escape, not too crowded (if possible in August, since it is in the peak season... )

Thank you.

Durham
Level Contributor
4,996 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help to choose a place in Montenegro.

The beach on one side of the causeway at Sveti Stefan costs 50 euros for those not staying on the island resort, but beach prices on the other side of the causeway are more normal.

Kotor, Montenegro
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help to choose a place in Montenegro.

Hello Nat, let me say in the beginning that it will be impossible to find a place in August (at the coast) which will not be overcrowded. ;)

July/August is "high season" period, so there is a lot of people everywhere. :)

I would advise you to pick a place at Budvanska Rivijera (territory from Budva to Buljarica), because best beaches are there. Prices are the highest there also for this reason. ;)

Sveti Stefan is really nice, but it is known as elite/very expensive destination, so it would be wiser to pick some other place maybe, like Petrovac.

Close to Petrovac are Buljarica and few other small places, and also a lot of beaches to pick among there. So that would be a better choice than Sv. Stefan I guess.

Have a pleasant stay anywhere you decide to be :), regards Marko

Risan, Montenegro
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help to choose a place in Montenegro.

Dear Nat,

The Bay of Kotor (Boka Kotorska) would be perfect for the type of holiday you're desiring. Look up for some affordable places in Tivat or Herceg Novi municipality. Kotor is the most beautiful town in the bay, but the accommodation there is too expensive. The town is easily reached from both Herceg Novi and Tivat.

Skopje, Republic of...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help to choose a place in Montenegro.

Thank you all for the help so far.

Looking at the photos and videos online I am simply falling in love with the places near Kotor. I especially like the place called Perast.

But are all the beaches in this area with cement? Is there an area in Boka Kotorska where you can find normal sandy or pebbly beach? In that case we might consider Petrovac or Buljarica...

Also, would you recommend booking a room/apartment now, or you think you can get better deal onsite?

Risan, Montenegro
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help to choose a place in Montenegro.

You can find a lot of pebbly beaches in the bay, one of my favorites is Bajova Kula, on the road between Kotor and Perast.

Perast itself has 2 small pebbly beaches, on both ends of the town.

Probably the biggest number of pebbly beaches is located in the municipality of Herceg Novi. If you're a fan of fine sand, you should hit Plavi Horizont, in the municipality of Tivat.

Kotor, Montenegro
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help to choose a place in Montenegro.

"Also, would you recommend booking a room/apartment now, or you think you can get better deal onsite?"

It is better to book in advance and know where are you going to, looking onsite is not easy and usually you pay more for bad accommodation.

You should always book in advance (unless you are 17 y.o. and you don't care about your apartment) ;)

But you are a bit late for this summer... ;)

Good accommodation is already booked, at least here at Budvanska rivijera.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help to choose a place in Montenegro.

We recently stayed at Melijine (near Herceg Novi), Kotor old town and Slovenski Plaza near Budva. My favourite was Melijine where we stayed at a great hotel right on the water, Hotel RR. The beaches are mostly pebbles all the way along the Montenegran coast which makes for lovely swimming and snorkelling. One nice sandy beach I know of is Jaz beach on the way to Budva which is a long, straight sandy beach. Most beaches are lovely but most are crowded and covered with deck chairs, umbrellas and cafes - that's just the type of holiday it is. With a car you will be able to stop when you see a quiet spot but there may not be anywhere there to stay. Perast is really quaint and has nice accommodation and restaurants right on the water (and a great excursion to the church and museum just off shore in the bay) but not really any beaches in the town.

Skopje, Republic of...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help to choose a place in Montenegro.

Thank you all for all the help. We had a lovely holiday in Montenegro. I fell in love with it. As I said, we were traveling by car, and had chance to visit several beaches and places. If you are looking for a holiday of the type we were, I would suggest more the Northern coast of Montenegro, that is, Boka Kotorska. Avoid Herceg Novi if you need some peace and quiet. Maybe night out, but that is it.

9. Re: Help to choose a place in Montenegro.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 15, 2013