We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montenegro - August

London
6 posts
Save Topic
Montenegro - August

Hi all

We're a couple in our 30s travelling to Montenegro in August.

We're hoping to fly to Dubrovnik and then hire a car and travel to Montenegro on the coastal road, probably ending up in kotor or futher down. Wide question, but could anyone recommend places to stay on the way/when we get there. We're looking for private apartment - or even b&b but would prefer to avoid big hotels.

I'm assuming we would need to book in August but any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

London, United...
Level Contributor
816 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Montenegro - August

Definitely need to book. I have tried my regular place for September and that is almost fully booked. It seems like the small places are filling up whilst the large hotels are having a few problems. Not sure but that is how it looks when I try.

Get your flights to Dubrovnik asap as they are going up in price day by day. Other alternative is to fly to Tivat via Belgrade with JAT.

London
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Montenegro - August

Thanks, any recommendation on websites for info on accommodation? I've looked on the main tourist website but there doesn't seem to be much info about the places listed.

Thanks again!

Montenegro
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Montenegro - August

Hi,

The reality is that you need to book (relatively) well in advance. The hotels I would suggest are in Budva because Budva is rather central (and crowdy) on the Montenegrin coast, but it won't take you long to visit places towards Croatian (Kotor, Herceg Novi, Igalo) or Albanian border (Bar, Ulicinj) with a lot of lovely small places on the road to these towns.

Anyway, the hotels you can try are (not the big ones you want to avoid):

Montenegro: www.montenegrostars.com/new/hoteli.php…

Blue Star: www.montenegrostars.com/new/hoteli.php…

Hotel Sajo: http://www.sajohotel.com/eng/index1.php

Queen of Montenegro: http://www.queenofmontenegro.com/

Hotel Splendid (big hotel): www.montenegrostars.com/new/hoteli.php…

Regardless of the E-booking option for these hotels, I would recommend direct telephone contact.

Sorry for a somewhat long post but I hope this is helpfull. Have a good time in Montenegro!

Montenegro
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Montenegro - August

Hi again :-)

For Kotor hotels, visit this site (you may find something of interest):

visit-montenegro.org/smjestaj/kotor_hoteli.h…

London
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Montenegro - August

Brilliant,

Many thanks for your advice and help!

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montenegro - August

Hey - we have planned the same kind of trip and found

http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/montenegro.htm

really easy as you could see availability and costs up front.

We booked ours a couple of week ago on a 2 bed apartment near Kotor with pool for around £400 for 10 days which seems a bargain!

Good Luck!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montenegro - August

Hi Auris

My friend and I are also visiting Montenegro in August. We were recommened to go by a friend who used to live there. She is a journalist and has travelled all over Montenegro and has nothing but nice things to say about the country. We are staying in the Spinnaker in Hercecg Novi. (www.spinnaker.cr.yu) for 3 nights and then on to the Hotel Splendid in Becici for two and back to the spinnaker for two. The Spinnaker is supposed to be great and the owner cant do enough for you. He is even organising a taxi to pick us up at airport and take us to the apartment for only 40euro! We have an appartment which sound fab and very reasonable. The Splendid is new and is 5 star (not what I am used to). As I had yet another Zero (40) birthday this year I decided to splash out and treat myself...and its actually quite well priced for a 5 star. Food, drink, clothing, taxis are very cheap there so happy days! Was recommended to visit Budva and Sveti Stefan if we could only get to a few places.www.montenegro.com good site also. Have a great time and let us know how you got on.

Brisbane
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Montenegro - August

We visited Herceg-Novi during the last week of April, and stayed at Spinnaker, which is a B&B with a bar underneath, but they also own or manage the more modern apartments next door, which is where my husband, 2 kids and myself stayed. The other 4 adults in our group stayed in the B&B, which was not as flash.

I cannot speak highly enough of Dragan and Buba who run the show - they were extremely warm and helpful. The al fresco breakfast every morning was mostly home-made and delicious. Their restaurant recommendations for dinner also hit the mark. And when we accidently left behind my son's beloved stuffed dog, Buba mailed it to a forwarding address.

Our experience at Spinnaker was memorable, and Herceg-Novi is a lovely little, unspoiled town, right on Kotor Bay. We were going to spend a day at Budva, but in the end, decided to explore more of Herceg-Novi instead.

9. Re: Montenegro - August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, October 06, 2009