We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking in Tuscany

Which Montalcino hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
12 posts
Save Topic
walking in Tuscany

in case anyone has suggestions for lodging, food, paths, etc. I am detailing my possible walking itinerary in S. Tuscany.

day 1- Sienna bus to Monte Oliveto Maggiore. Walk back to Buonconvento

day 2- Walk Buonconvento to Montalcino

day 3- Walk to Abbey St. Antimo- stay the night if possible, or bus back to Montalcino

day 4- Bus to Abbey area and walk to Roca d' Orcia or walk from Abbey area to Roca d'Orcia and stay night if possible- if not, continue on to Bagno Vignoni

day 5- either walk from Roca d'Orcia to Bagno or walk from Bagno to San Quirico

day 6- either walk San Quirico to Pienza or Bagno to Pienza

day 7- Walk Pienza to Montechiello

day 8- Bus back to Sienna to collect luggage.

I would like to stay near the Abbey St. Antimo and Roca d'Orcia, but am not having much luck finding places to stay.

Also, we thought we would then stay somewhere for a few days in Chianti, and rent a vespa to sightsee. Any lodging and location suggestions? Maybe something different than what we saw on our walks.

Any suggestions, must "see" sights, skip sights etc. would be helpful.

Thanks.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: walking in Tuscany

If you're going to spend several days walking, it might be worthwhile investing in a walking guide; Amazon lists a few.

This place is in Castelnuovo dell'Abate:

tripadvisor.com.my/Hotel_Review-g635634-d667…

12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: walking in Tuscany

Thank you. I will check the site listed. I have purchased Lonely Planet, Rick Steves, Walking and Eating, and a few others. Can you suggest one that you found helpful?

toscana
Level Contributor
770 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walking in Tuscany

I am sure you went through lots of maps and info.

Just want to add a couple for you hoping it will be of interest.

genius-loci.it/tour/…tuscany-francigena-orcia

everytrail.com/destination/val-d-orcia/map

Enjoy.

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
5,516 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: walking in Tuscany

Walking & Eating in Tuscany & Umbria is an excellent book and one we use regularly. If you've had a chance to look at it already you'll see several of the routes you're planning featured. You can get excellent walking maps in many local bookshops in Siena, San Quirico, Pienza.

Day 1 works well. It makes sense to bus up as it's quite a climb. It doesn't look far on a map but the road is windy. I've never walked back cross country, only ever followed the road but there must be a footpath option. The road isn't that busy but do find the occasional bus coming along.

Day 2 is wonderful walk, though the last bit is tough. This is one of your longer ones. Are you staying in Montalcino?

Day 3 is easy, very nice walk either through the woods or following the road.

Day 4 I've never done but certainly plan to. I'm travelling at the moment so don't have my walking maps to hand but am sure there must be a footpath taking you down and across the Asso valley. Maybe follow the lane that goes to Barbi and then see your options. So long as you keep to the very edge of fields, few land owners object to walkers. Always carry a stick in case of a dog off a leash.

Day 5 is one of my favourites. In one day you'll easily be able to manage Roca to Bagno and then back to SQ. The last bit is along the Via Francigena and a fabulous walk. This is very quiet dirt track (some cars).

Day 6 we've done many times too and they're both awesome walks. Sudden thought, when are you coming? Note there isn't much shade on the Bagno to Pienza walk and I wouldn't want to do that in high summer.

SQ to Pienza is through open countryside at beginning and end but there's a wooded stretch in the middle. Take the southerly route via la Vitaleta, walk behind the church to the track, take a right, and then a left about a kilometre later along a path that skirts a field leading to Terrapile from which you have a choice of routes into Pienza. Awesome views all the way.

Day 7 one more delightful day's walk and it's not far so you can easily get there and back and enjoy a nice lunch. There are several routes, one of which is a northerly arc that follows a ridge and brings you out by the agriturismo that is mentioned often on this board. You could walk back along the valley road for it's very beautiful and not busy.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: walking in Tuscany

Hi there, by now you will probably have completed your trip, so hopefully you had a great time.

We are just beginning to research for a walking holiday, and yours sounds great! Could I ask you where you got the details of all these lovely walks you mentioned in your post? Where did you fly into, and is it possible and practical to get to the start of all the walks by public transport? - we'd prefer not to drive if possible. Did you base yourselves in Siena, or, if not, can you suggest a good base from which to get around? Thank you for any input you can give us.

Best wishes.

6. Re: walking in Tuscany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 25, 2014