We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mate Vineyards, Montalcino

Anthem, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Mate Vineyards, Montalcino

2 (almost) years ago, we had the delight to visit this vineyard, a must see after we had read Ferenc Mate's books about living in Tuscany. What a beautiful setting!

Since then we have corresponded with Candace and Ferenc, having wine shipped to US (only takes a week!), and get updates about wines and their website, and Ferenc's latest book.

In the last week,(mid July 2010) they have been notified that their 2005 Brunello has been listed as one of the top 100 Italian Wines. Sorry, I do not remember the source of the accolade, but all the Mate wines rate in the 90+ range.

Sipping the noted Brunello as I type....it is very, very good!

Mentioned in this post
Locanda Demetra & Cooking School Restaurant
$$ - $$$, Italian, Mediterranean, European
Il Galletto Di Camigliano
$$ - $$$, Italian, Mediterranean, European
Caffe Sant'Angelo
$, Italian, Cafe, Mediterranean
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,180 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mate Vineyards, Montalcino

It was Wine Spectator who rated his Brunello so highly accompanied by a crack write up by always-reliable Steven Spurrier. We love Mate's boutiquey wines having first been introduced to them by the nice people at Enoteca della Piazza in Montalcino - an excellent place to taste and purchase if you're in the village and want to sample a selection of different vineyards. When we fancy a change from sangiovese, we open a bottle of his Merlot, which is rich ruby fruit, velvety and smooth. I've only read his first book - the Hills of Tuscany - but rate it amongst the best of theTuscan-memoirs. I think we need to pay a visit to his vineyard; thank you for highlighting this.

Mentioned in this post
Montalcino
Montalcino
Province of Siena, Italy
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1 post
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mate Vineyards, Montalcino

My husband and I plan to visit Tuscany for our 25th anniversary next year. I just picked up A Vineyard in Tuscany and am really enjoying Ferenc Mate's books, plan to read them all. I would love to stay in Montalcino and visit their vineyard and try their wines. Do you have a accomocation recommendation?

Thank you

Seattle

Mentioned in this post
Montalcino
Montalcino
Province of Siena, Italy
Sudbury
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mate Vineyards, Montalcino

Will look up this vinyard when in Tuscany in early October.

Read the book last week,enjoyed it immensely

Am hopeful that I can ship wines to Canada without having too much government red tape

Mentioned in this post
Anthem, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mate Vineyards, Montalcino

While in Tuscany, we've made Volpaia our home base, renting an apartment in the little hilltown, and heading for other hilltowns during day trips.

I would check on the Montalcino Hotels link, upper left from this page, and read the recommendations.

Please greet the Mate family from their friends in Wyoming!

Mentioned in this post
Volpaia
Volpaia
344 Reviews
Radda in Chianti, Italy
Montalcino
Montalcino
Province of Siena, Italy
Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,870 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mate Vineyards, Montalcino

Seattle52,

Do you want to stay in town or an agriturismo? What price range or amenities do you require?

Anthem, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mate Vineyards, Montalcino

The following link will take you to a recent interview, radio not video, with Ferenc Mate. Rick speaks with Ferenc about two of his books, "A Vineyard in Tuscany" and "Wisdom of Tuscany". It's a nice interview, and lasts about 40 minutes!

ricksteves.com/radio/streaming/program219.asx

Mentioned in this post
Anthem, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mate Vineyards, Montalcino

Mate's 2006 Brunello is receiving very good ratings (92+) in current wine industry publications. That's great news, Candace & Ferenc!!!

alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
1,775 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mate Vineyards, Montalcino

I love the Mate wines, although I think the wine praise goes more to Candace. :-) I have loved all of Ferenc's books and they make a good reading for those visiting the Tuscan area.

We choose to carry our wine back in luggage and always include a few bottles from this vinyarde. For our yearly week in this area we have chosen a very local B&B. It's about a 15 minute drive from the Mate' Vinyard. Although Candace has gotton more formal and prepared for wine visits, we always call to arrange a time to visit.

We stay at the B&B Gianetti in San Angelo Scalo, about as authentic experience you can find, Few people in the village speak English and almost no tourists go there as it's not and old hilltop town, yet it very convenient to explore tuscany from.

tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g635634-d1047780…

alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
1,775 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mate Vineyards, Montalcino

This is the direct web site, it loads slow. We spend a bit of time sipping Bruello and eating local meats and cheese on the patio that is shown.

http://www.rooms-wine.it/index2.html

AZ
Level Contributor
240 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mate Vineyards, Montalcino

We will be there this May. Can we just walk into the winery or do you have to reserve a time. Thanks Barb