We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent floods

Which Atrani hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,010 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
Recent floods

How is Atrani affected by this? It looks dreadful on You Tube.

Positano
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
957 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent floods

They are still cleaning and searching for the missing girl. If you have a hotel booked at Atrani, I suggest that you check with them before coming.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,010 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent floods

Thanks, I did find the thread on the Amalfi Coast forum. No trips planned, but we do know the area.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent floods

I suppose it's only right to mention that the body of the poor girl swept away by the floods - Francesca Mansi - was found last Saturday, down near the Aeolian islands, and that her funeral ceremony is taking place today in Minori.

Peter

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recent floods

Thats so sad. Thank you for letting us know Peter.

Bucks
Level Contributor
131 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recent floods

Thank you Peter. Our hearts go out to the family.

We were in Atrani a few weeks ago and saw the wooden cross which had been erected on the beach in her memory.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recent floods

We returned from Ravello at the weekend and we were in Minori when Francesca's funeral was taking place.

It was so very moving. The whole town was shut down and I would think the whole population was at the cathedral along with all the rescue services, the coast guard, the firemen, the police and ambulance were all represented in huge numbers

Francesca was apparently found in Sicily by a fisherman, which is particularly poignant for Minori as the cathedral is dedicated to a young child ( Saint Trophemena - apologies if my spelling is incorrect ) whose body was washed up on the shore in Minori and she came from Sicily. The story we were told is that she was murdered by her father, aged three, many hundreds of years ago. The connection is so powerful and as yet I have not had time to research the full; story - Peter you may know more of this.

A young friend of Francesca told us how she had been washed away from the cafe where she was working. The devastation was dreadful, all the way down from Ravello the evidence of the storm surge is clear with debris covering the hillside. I think it is a true miracle that more people were not swept away. If you type Atrani mudslide into your search engine you will see what happened on mobile phone pictures as the water swept into Atrani.

Things are getting back to normal in Atrani and if you were unaware of what had happened you would pass through wondering what had happened to the beach but maybe not realising the sadness that had happened.

Apparently Francesca leaves her father and five brothers as sadly her mother died five years ago.

We had gone to Minori to visit the Roman Villa which of course was closed for mourning and we felt humbled to see the love and care shown by this

little town for this poor young girl.

Judith

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recent floods

Judith - no, the story of Trofimena (as her name seems to be) is a new one to me.

That said, the image of the bodies of girls and young women being washed ashore is obviously a powerful one amongst coastal communities, and here on Ischia the town of Lacco Ameno has a church dedicated to Santa Restituta, another of many said to have suffered a similar fate...

Trust that you'll excuse me for resorting to Wiki....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restituta

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trofimena

Thank you for your account of the day, and of how the town's coping in the aftermath of the tragedy.

Peter

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recent floods

Peter - thank you for the links. The distances covered by the tides are huge, even more so in the account of Restituta.

No doubt in years to come Francesca will be linked with Saint Trofimena in stories of Minori.

Judith

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recent floods

Terribly sad about that poor girl and her family.

Has anyone been to Atrani recently who can report on how it's doing? We will be there in May 2011 and I'm sure it will most likely be back to normal by then but we were wondering if there was any permanent damage. Our agency didn't mention anything when we booked our house so I'm assuming it wasn't affected.

10. Re: Recent floods

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:41 am, May 24, 2011