We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Atrani better than Amalfi to stay at?

London
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is Atrani better than Amalfi to stay at?

Hello

We're going to be staying on the Amalfi coast for a week in early september due to 2 weddings. We've found apartments in Amalfi and some in Atrani but are unsure which one to choose. We've been told that it is very noisy due to the bells of the cathedral in central Amalfi and were wondering if it is quieter in Atrani.

Thanks very much

Jayne

Piazzetta Umberto I
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Vicoli, scale e archi
S.Maria Maddalena
edinburgh
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Atrani better than Amalfi to stay at?

Hi Jayne,

We stayed in Atrani in September a couple of years ago. It's very small and quiet but easy walking distance to Amalfi (there is a foot path) and also a fairly steep hike up a hill to Ravello - which is amazing.

We stayed at a very basic hostel which I wouldn't recommend if you can afford more.

If I was to go back I would definately stay on Capri. Wow. Beautiful. But you are obviously there for a reason... so I'd say stay in Amalfi. We had dinner there a couple of nights ( in the day it seemed a little mad with all the tourists.) and it was lovely in some of the smaller squares.

If you do make it to Atrani we had 2 lovely meals at one of the few restaurants in the square. It didn't seem to have a name.. we did ask.. But easy to find if you face inland towards the hills it's on your left! It may have been kinda pricey but really good.

Good luck and have a great time.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Atrani better than Amalfi to stay at?

I recently stayed a week in Amalfi, and actually enjoyed the bells very much. You may too.

Atrani is cute, but very small and Amalfi offers a lot more choices in the way of places to eat (but of course, it's all Italian!). The two towns are literally side-by-side though, so I guess it wouldn't make much difference.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Atrani better than Amalfi to stay at?

Oh, I think I ate a meal in the same place greenfern did. I'd recommend it too.

Amalfi
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Atrani better than Amalfi to stay at?

Atrani is very small but does indeed have several good small restaurants and bars

5. Re: Is Atrani better than Amalfi to stay at?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, August 31, 2009