We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rhodes Town

Glasgow
Level Contributor
133 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Rhodes Town

Hi

Can you help.

Debating between Rhodes Town or Lindos.

Are there beaches near the old town in Rhodes. We plan for Sept this year.

We are in our early 60's, but still like it quite busy.

Thanks

Rhodes, Greece
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Rhodes Town

Mart,

Nice of you to say that mate, thanks, It is indeed a shame but it is what it is, and as we know moderation on here is very 'black and white' so one person's input causing dismay among new members goes pretty much untouched, or any post complaining is often the one that gets deleted(this one may well do in fact!).

The workers here are far more in tune with what's going on in the resorts than the 'retired ex-pats' are, we see things day and night all season that affect the visitors in a way the old codgers in the village ever will, but they won't be told, they know best and are nothing but belligerent in their quest to prove it, which is what puts us off.

Things like dismissing Faliraki as now being a 'families and couples only' resort, or false information given in order to promote their friends hotel etc are really out of order but there's nothing you can do apart from try and set them straight and then simply give up trying and let them carry on trying to make themselves look like an expert.

RE this perceived clique of Lindos enthusiasts, personally speaking I don't think i've noticed any real hostility arising from the topics that pit north Rhodes against south, if people want to band together and promote somewhere as fantastic as ANY resort on Rhodes than that's a good thing, aslong as it's factual information I can't see a problem with their being a 'gang' of Lindos/Pefkos promoters, we all speak from our own personal experience, some more than others, so the old 'my place is better than your place' is bound to occur, but then healthy competition between enthusiasts is often the very thing that brings out more in depth info

mid wales
Level Contributor
242 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Rhodes Town

I love the whole island, have been over 100 times now!! However I always want to be in the town area. Lindos is lovely but as others have said, you can get everywhere from the town and the history is wonderful.I do hope the belligerance of a certain member doesn't put any0ne off visiting this lovely island and finding the best place to suit them.

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,447 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Rhodes Town

I think as Jo said it's down to priorities and if a good beach is yours then undoubtedly Lindos is the better choice. I always book Lindos but i'm a fan of both resorts and if I'm there for a fortnight, will always spend 1-2 days in Rhodes Town.

If you're booking independently then I'd be tempted to do a 2 centre holiday with time to explore the Old Town and all Rhodes has to offer, then a few days chilling on the beach in Lindos. Even if you're on a package just booking 1 night in the other resort gives you the opportunity to enjoy both day and night, something as a day visitor you'd miss out on. The Old Town by night is stunning and Lindos by night is a wonderful contrast to the throng of daytime visitors.

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Rhodes Town

Every year I visit Rhodes Town there is so much choice in the town a pint of beer is about 2 euros in some bars but you can pay a lot more in Lindos. Plenty of boats and buses go to Lindos okay the beaches are better and it is a lot hotter but after a few hours there the heat can get pretty oppressive it being the other side of the Island.It's a relief to get back to the breezy town.

25. Re: Rhodes Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, February 09, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Rhodes Town