We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid the Parrot Cafe - beer ripoff!

Which Rhodes Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Avoid the Parrot Cafe - beer ripoff!

This cafe uses 2 beautiful Macaw parrots to attract customers but beware. We sat down and ordered 5 beers and a coke and were not asked what size we wanted. When the order arrived, we had 5 massive, one litre "boot" shaped glasses plus the coke. None of us wanted to drink this much beer but the waiters pretended not to understand when we protested that we wanted small glasses. In the heat of summer, who would order such a huge glass, knowing it would be warm within minutes?

We gave up and drank what we could, then asked for the bill. It came to an unbelievable 60 Euros!!. The same "boots" were advertised at another cafe for 5.50 Euros each. I'm not sure if this practice is widespread and out hotel owner had never heard of it but beware and always state the size of the drink you want. It's disappointing that the Parrot Cafe is giving a bad name to other Rhodes businesses.

136 replies to this topic
Eastcote, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
81. Re: Avoid the Parrot Cafe - beer ripoff!

Very funny Ha Ha.

Jarrow
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
82. Re: Avoid the Parrot Cafe - beer ripoff!

Their Olympic breakfast's were amazing............. nom nom nom ;-)

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
83. Re: Avoid the Parrot Cafe - beer ripoff!

Hello greenmanalishi

Yes, it is a con, a total con and as Dave and a couple of others have said already, they don't give a hoot whether you ever go back or not, as they have already extracted a huge profit from you anyway. Bear in mind too that a high percentage of visitors to Rhodes Old Town are off cruise ships that might be berthed for a few hours before sailing again. It's highly unlikely that any of those will ever be back so the rip off bars feel like they have very little to lose and everything to gain.

At best, if there's any mention of the beers on the menu, it will just say "small" and "large". Thinking that "large" means 500ml, that's what you order and then get served with a litre or even larger. The price isn't even pro-rata'd, they more or less charge what they think they can get away with so if the regular price of 500mls is say €4, they'll charge three times that price for a litre.

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
84. Re: Avoid the Parrot Cafe - beer ripoff!

I thought this sort of rip-off behaviour would have been something the tourist police would have been clamping down on............Or am I being naive? :O]

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
85. Re: Avoid the Parrot Cafe - beer ripoff!

Sorry to hear that; they should have requested a clarification, knowing that you were tourists. Nevertheless, in the future try to order specific sizes of drinks to make sure you aren't stuck with a huge bill again. That is really a shame.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
86. Re: Avoid the Parrot Cafe - beer ripoff!

I've been reading this thread and I just wanted some opinions and advice on the old town. I am taking my boyfriend for 2 nights in may before a few days in symi and I was hoping to experience the local culture, eat in some lovely rustic Greek restaurants and just relax I love Greece it's my favourite country but Im now worried I have chosen a tourist trap? Is the town full of bars with welly boots for drinks? I did Malia and lively resorts 10 years ago. What can we expect to experience

Liverpool
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
87. Re: Avoid the Parrot Cafe - beer ripoff!

I've been reading this thread and I just wanted some opinions and advice on the old town. I am taking my boyfriend for 2 nights in may before a few days in symi and I was hoping to experience the local culture, eat in some lovely rustic Greek restaurants and just relax I love Greece it's my favourite country but Im now worried I have chosen a tourist trap? Is the town full of bars with welly boots for drinks? I did Malia and lively resorts 10 years ago. What can we expect to experience

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
88. Re: Avoid the Parrot Cafe - beer ripoff!

Hi there

Rhodes Old Town covers a substantial area and it's really only in the big touristy squares that you'll find these cafes. Rhodes Old Town is a maze of back streets and alleyways, and there are some very good, and inexpensive restaurants, tavernas and cafes all over the place.

The Old Town is a UNESCO World Heritage site, so much to see, huge fortifications, the Grand Masters Palace, fountains, churches, temples, museums, old cobbled streets, mosques and lots and lots more. It will be busy for sure, as there are usually a couple of cruise ships berthed for a stop over and most passengers will make for the Old Town.

It's all pedestrianised so walking around is easy and safe.

Rhodes Old Town

flickr.com/photos/…

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,462 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
89. Re: Avoid the Parrot Cafe - beer ripoff!

Yes, there are plenty of authentic places away from the main squares. In fact I had the cheapest beer I've had for many years in Rhodes Old Town in June! €1.70 for a large bottle of Mythos, in a small cafe on Omirou, with a couple of tables overlooking a square with a mosque.

Of course there are loads of places to eat in Rhodes new town as well.

Scarborough
Level Contributor
35 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
90. Re: Avoid the Parrot Cafe - beer ripoff!

We went to Rhodes town in October last year and because we were with my inlaws who love parrots etc. got similarly fleeced by these cafe operators, however it did not spoil our holiday, it was just something to put down to experience and I personally can't wait to return later on this year, I am looking forward to having a long conversation with the Parrot Man when he tries to get me to sample his wares again. There are plenty of lovely, good value for money places to eat and drink in Rhodes and plenty of lovely genuine Greek people to serve you, it's all part of the fun of a holiday to find them!

Reply to: Avoid the Parrot Cafe - beer ripoff!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted