We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mandala restaurant in Old Town - excellent food

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,666 posts
108 reviews
Mandala restaurant in Old Town - excellent food

Are there any Mandala lovers here? The best meals I had in Rhodes was at the Mandala restaurant. I may be blind, but is it correct that I can not find it as a restaurant rated on the restaurant section for Rhodes on TA?

If you are wondering what I'm talking about, this is the homepage www.sailing-rhodes.gr/english/pages2.asp…

You will not be disappointed if you decide to try it out. It is like an oasis in the old town with its own atmosphere, delicious food and service. I could go back to Rhodes just to experience this restaurant again.

Leicester
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Mandala restaurant in Old Town - excellent food

Hi,

We tried it for the first time this year following a couple of TA recommendations. It is indeed very good, i.e food, service and atmosphere, and we will be going back. However, its not really a Greek restaurant and, as such, there are plenty of other places I would rate above it.

Cheers,

Dave.

Kent
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
2. Re: Mandala restaurant in Old Town - excellent food

We've been using it for a few years when in the Old Town & like it's quirky menu. Also like the open kitchen & also the little spiritual messages on the noticeboards.

However we have had a couple of occasions when we have had very bad service. Once a couple of years ago when it took 3 requests & 45 minutes to get the bill & more recently in April when we took some first timer friends there. The sign on the gate said it opened at 7pm & it was 6.55pm so we waited...& waited...& waited till around 7.20pm when some staff showed up & opened but not a word of greeting or acknowledgement. We wandered in, sat down & waited...& waited...& waited. Still no greeting or acknowledgement of our presence as the staff were busy prepping in the kitchen. Walked out around 7.40pm after a couple of aborted attempts to start a dialogue with the staff. They've lost us forever.

Shame, as it's something a bit different but I'd hardly describe any of the nice meals I've had there as the best in Rhodes like Pippi2. Maybe she can detect some flavours from home that influence her opinion as both her & the Mandala owners are Scandinavian.

But do give it a try. The food is good & fingers crossed you go on a night that the service is good. But for us..twice bitten etc.

Cheers

Eddie

Old Forge, New York
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
155 reviews
3. Re: Mandala restaurant in Old Town - excellent food

I too. love the place, and happily our experiences have been great ones..maybe because our friends in Old Town know the owners...not sure, but food and service for us always stellar. Have fun!

Kent
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
4. Re: Mandala restaurant in Old Town - excellent food

I'm sure Johnnieb's good experiences were not because he was with friends of the owners as if this is the way Mandala operates they'd have gone under years ago. We too have had good experiences there too but unfortunately 2 bad ones which, I'm sure in the 2nd case, was down to the owner not being there at the time & staff not caring about standards whilst the owner was away. If the owner reads this then they will be able to make sure it doesn't happen again & Mandala will then continue to pick up new friends.

I repeat, give it a try. It's good & would be a sad loss to the Old Town dining scene if poor staff performance continues to compromise the owners great efforts.

Cheers

Eddie

Leicester
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Mandala restaurant in Old Town - excellent food

Eddie,

I think we've come full circle on this one.

The laid back (virtually horizontal!) attitude of the staff was one of Mandala's attraction for us - totally relaxed service which allowed us to relax and linger to listen to the very good resident Australian musicians playing on the night we were in - we were encouraged to stay long after we'd finished our meal. As has been said previously, with Scandinavian owners and some Antipodean staff its not particularly hellenic though.

Cheers,

Dave.

6. Re: Mandala restaurant in Old Town - excellent food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 21, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Rhodes Town
Recent Conversations