We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary problems and Ferries - Any help appreciated.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary problems and Ferries - Any help appreciated.

We are heading to the Greek Islands this summer, and I have been working timelessly on our intinerary for quite a while.

I have now began to think that I have possibly reached a large hurdle.

Our plan to date is:

Santorini (3 nights) then on to Ios

Ios (3 nights) then on to Paros

Paros (4 nights) then on to Mykonos

Mykonos (2 nights) then on to Rhodes (4 nights)

We haven't had much luck finding accommmodation in Mykonos, so I was thinking of swapping Mykonos for Naxos. However I'm not sure on the ferry schedule to Rhodes for Naxos ( I don't think there is one??). And then have just been reading that Mykonos - Rhodes is only 3 times a week??

We will be looking to leave either Naxos or Mykonos on the 11th of August, to arrive in Rhodes.

Can anyone help? Is there a ferry from Naxos to Rhodes on this date? Or even Mykonos to Rhodes for that matter??

We have to go to Rhodes as we have family and friends there to visit, so cutting it isn't really an option.

All help appreciated.

Thanks,

Kylie

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary problems and Ferries - Any help appreciated.

You Need to look at a Map,or rather should have, before booking accommodations. YOu now have a problem that is not easy to solve. THere IS no route from Mykonos to Rhodes.. and not even an easy double-hop to get there.

There's a wonderful book published in Britain by T. Cook "Greek Island Hopping" that shows the regular ferry routes... it shows clearly what are the regular routes, and how few "cross-overs" there are between island groups, i.e., Cyclades to Dodecanese.

I DID find one possibility for you... you have to know how to use gtp.gr, which is the only ferry site where u can find this stuff out. You could take a ferry fom Mykonos on Monday July 11, to SYROS. There are several, earliest about 11, latest about1500 (3 pm).

at 22:35 that night a ferry leaves for Rodos arriving 6:15 next morning. You are lucky it is the Blue Star line, GOOD ferries, the Blue Star 2. You can book a cabin for 2 (think of it as your hotel room rate), and sleep your way to Rhodes.

HOWEVER U MUST BOOK RIGHT AWAY AS THIS will be in HIGH DEMAND.

Otherwise u would have to go back to Santorini and take that tiny airplane to rhodes.

Rhodes Town, Greece
Level Contributor
519 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary problems and Ferries - Any help appreciated.

I can also vouch for Blue start ferries both ships they use to Rhodes are very nice, Diagoras & Blue Star 2. Try to avoid GA Ferries, we fly pass their ships en route, and we always comment about how old they look. The Blue Start ferries are v.modern and have great facilities.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary problems and Ferries - Any help appreciated.

Thank you to both of you for your replies.

While I am more than aware that I should have looked earlier....I was slightly misinformed by a friend and relied on their information without looking for myself.

At least I have found it out now, instead of in August!!

I have this morning, been fortunate enough to find a flight from Mykonos to Rhodes (via Athens) for £130. Might be our best option as at least then we won't lose a 1/2 day in Mykonos an entire day in Rhodes....I am going to think about it this morning! Plus it is the Olympic Airlines flight, so normal luggage allowances, instead of the Santorini flight. I looked into it, and given that the cheap flights are booked out, it is actually quite expensive (129 Euro, plus the cost of the ferry back to Santorini).

The only other option is cutting Mykonos completely from our itinerary, which would allow us 3 full days to get to Rhodes from either Paros or Naxos, but I can't actually seeing this being any more helpful, as there are no more ferry options than the ones you have already pointed out, which only runs Mon/Wed/Fri.

Anyway, I will keep looking, thanks for the reference to the site, it is alot better than the other ferry sites I have been searching!!

Kind Regards,

Kylie

4. Re: Itinerary problems and Ferries - Any help appreciated.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, September 25, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Rhodes Town