We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

symi

Which Rhodes Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
atlanta
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
symi

We want to spend two nights in Symi in the gorgeous harbor in August. Do you think it's well worth the effort or should we stay an extra two nights on Santorini(we are already staying 5 nights in San.)We thought Symi would be a nice,relaxing end to our trip plus it's right next door to Rhodes, where we are flying out of.

We have seen two hotels we like in Symi, the Hotel Aliki or Odyssia Apts? Any thoughts? Both seem to have great views of the harbor. Also, is there car rentals on the island and moped rentals?

rhodes
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: symi

Hi,

Yes you should go to Symi.

The Hotel Aliki i think is your best bet.

They have water taxis taking you to the beaches and you can get local bus and taxis to take you up to the village.Don't know if its worth to hire a car or bike but yes you should be able to hire.

They have a great greek night out on a boat thats worth looking into.

There are some info centers and tour operators in the main harbor

that can help you.

Enjoy

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: symi

Hi merm

Symi is well worth a couple of days - it's one of the least spoiled islands anywhere in Greece. The Aliki is probably the best place in town and sits in a renovated late 19th century mansion. Be aware that not all rooms in the Alika have sea views. I don't know anything about the Odyssia apartments though.

The island does get busy in high season with all the tourist kaikia that come across from Rhodes - they usually make two stops at the monastery of Panormitis for an hour or so and then at Gialos for maybe two hours. Most folk on these trips tend to stay close to the harbour anyway or at most explore a few of the back streets in Gialos (Symi Town). Many will just while away their time in a restaurant that the tour guides have recommended.

Last time I went to the island, there weren't any car rental outfits - basically the island is too small to warrant travelling by car. There may be some now though for all I know. There are a few scooter rental places in Gialos but these are expensive compared to other islands and can run to as much as 20 euros per day. There are a few taxis on the island and these tend to congregate around Gialos - you might end up sharing if you take a cab.

The island is crisscrossed by some wonderful, scenic if rocky pathways and these are the only way to get to some of the remote monasteries on the west coasts. There is just one sandy beach and this is a bit of a hike too - you go east through Gialos towards Pedi, then take the track (walk only) east from Pedi to Agios Nikolaos where there is a small secluded sandy beach.

atlanta
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: symi

thank you so much for this helpful information! I think we will definitely stay in Symi for the last two nights of our trip and I know we won't be disappointed!

Bristol UK
Destination Expert
for Symi
Level Contributor
247 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: symi

Certainly stay in Symi as long as possible. The Nireus should certainly be considered.

There is indeed a car/bike hire company :Glarosrentacar but, since there are only one and a half roads, don't bother. There are 4 taxis and, of course, The Bus. There is a chain across the harbour road at certain times of the day so your car travel would not always be possible anyway. There are taxi boats to most parts of the island every day if you need them. This is a walking island.

"Next door to Rhodes". Well, yes, 24 miles but be very careful to check the ferry timetables on ANES.gr. The ferry service is undergoing something of an upheaval at the moment although there is always at least one ferry, subject to weather conditions. I'd be happy to swim there if necessary.

Enjoy the place. We always do.

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: symi

There are indeed a couple of car and scooter rentals now, around the harbour.

Last week we rented an old scooter for 10 euros per day (new ones were 15 euros), from Glaros rentals near the clock tower.

It was useful as we used it to gain access to a track that led to a deserted beach called Toli (all big pebbles) and the next day to go to Marathounda beach near to Panormitis monastry (nicer beach and a taverna).

Be warned though that the road out of Yailos/Horio (the main town) is very steep and has lots of hairpin bends. Not an island to learn to drive a scooter on. Also if you are only going for 2 nights, I wouldn't recommend renting. There is just too much to see around the main town and Pedi etc

Oh and if you wish to visit Ag Nikoloas beach and don't wish to walk, you can always catch a water taxi. But don't expect a fine white sand beach, it also has a lot of pebbles and a taverna.

Other beaches are Nos (small beach), which is to the right of the harbour (as you enter), about 10 mins walk from the clock tower, and Nimborio, again with a lovely taverna.

If you want a hotel with a view, I would say you would be hard pushed to beat Hotel Fiona, up in Horio. Not the poshest but in a great position (must like steps to get here though, as it's not too far from the top of the Kalistrata - no pain, no gain)

For more info etc, try www.symivisitor.com, if you haven't already.

Enjoy your stay

6. Re: symi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, September 02, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Rhodes Town