We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Got Back - Trip Report - a little long sorry.

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Just Got Back - Trip Report - a little long sorry.

Who are we :- couple (37 & 48) Family (39, 41, 10).

Where we stayed:- Faliraki, Rodos Sun Apartments

When:- 23rd May - 30th May 2007.

After reading all the bad reviews we were all quite aprehensive on staying in Faliraki. And when we were the last on the coach, our nerves took quite a bashing. As the big hotels came and went and we began our trip into the centre itself we were all quite pleasantly surpised. It's greece, it's basic, it's tavernas, bars, shops that sort of thing. Travelling through we caught the outskirts of Club Street and Bar Street and it wasn't all that bad.

We arrived at our self catering complex which was an oasis up a short side road. The pool is fabulous, not massive but kept clean with plenty of sunbeds and parasols. Our rooms were basic and clean - what more do you need. The cooking facilities are a little basic and sparse but with all the eating out we did we never used them anyways. Fridge, two electric hobs, plates, cups, cutlery, glasses.

There is a well stocked bar area which serves breakfasts and lunches. Typical bar snack type of foods - pizzas burgers at night if you want. Pool table and plenty of board games, sky tv etc etc.

The studios were a short 10 mins from the main bar/club streets however there are many tavernas, bars, shops inbetween.

The staff, well whenever I see the name rodos sun apartments the first thing I notice is how everyone praises the staff, we are no exception. Nick and his father George made our stay fabulous - a real family run place. Ever so friendly, looked after the little one in our party, and were an asset to the complex. We were always greated with a friendly smile after our meal out in the evening and spent many a night into the small hours trying out every cocktail and coming up with a few new ones. If you are very lucky you may get Nick to make you a Jager Bomb which I have to say, is the most fantastic cocktail I think I have ever had. So much so I bought the drinks so that I can make my own at home. Thanks Nick. !!!

Car Hire - got a hyundai accent, 5 seater, approx 320E for four days (through tour rep) but ask at the bar first, as we were told by George later he could have got us this at least 100Euros off this price. Driving around a bit hairy at first but you soon get used to the madness in the resort centres, once on the open roads no problems.

Towels changed once during our week stay, but there were plenty to start with. Only negative comment I could say is that the toilet bins were only changed once also. HOWEVER don't let this put you off - please. Use the loo in the public area as much as you can lol.

The resort was very quiet whilst we were there. Apparently following the 'Club Rep' programme it has been getting progressively quieter during the May/June months which is ideal for those wishing to not have the typical club scene (which by the way I was told is no worse than typical english city centre areas on a Friday/Saturday night). The beach is lovely, long stretch of golden sand with plenty of sunbeds (local charge) and loads of water sports.

Eating out - had breakfast at the complex. Lunch was usually a greek salad or two at a local bar or taverna. Evening meals at local tavernas. One special taverna, ask Nick for details, we spent three evenings at. Please eat the local dishes - absolutely gorgeous.

Entertainment - Spent a fantastic eveing at the complex on their BBQ night - fabulous souvlaki, chicken, pork steaks, tzatziki, rice, etc etc etc and also we all got as much goat as we could eat. Actually tasked very very nice.

Went on the First CHoice's Greek Night (Afandou village) - OK, not the best one I have been on but the food was nice, lots of wine and dancing. Finished at about 11pm.

Rhodes Old Town(we never got to the new town bit) - good for site seeing - some fabulous cobbled streets etc, shopping. Didn't get to the beach area though.

Lindos - Idylic place although I wouldn't have wanted my accommodation there. Get a donkey up to the accropolis not on the way back like a couple of us did, hair raising lol. The walk up was very nice though, lots of shops winding their way up the whitewashed hillside, just the last steep hundred yards or so a bit heavy going - 6Euros in to the accropolis itself. As I said a couple of our party got a donkey down, goodness me, what a laugh - we were following behind for a short time as their pace was astounding, we got lost around the many cobbled alleyways, which left us in stiches following the sound of hoofs and donkey doodoo (poop) which was being hastely cleaned up by what all I can say is one of the most undesireable jobs I have come across - but someone has to do it.

The beach at Lindos was lovely, a nice large cove with sandy beach, a couple of bars and tavernas. All in all a nice day out.

Faliraki - Water Park - fabulous day, a bit hilly, the advertised train was not running so there are a lot of steps to and from the different rides. Spent hours in the wave pool, which until you use can't be described all I can say is when you see it make sure you get a rubber ring and keep towards the left hand wave shute - we spent so much time laughing in there. Not for the very young or faint hearted. Some fab water slides around the park, lazy river and a great younger childrens area. 20Euros each for the day.

There are many ceramic pottery houses littered everywhere. After checking out a few all I would recommend is stick away from the fancy expensive looking ones and you will pick up some very good bargains.

We spent time exploring the many coves and bays in the area and one not so publicised area, Anthony Quinn Bay was a real find. Fabulous for snorkling and you will find many a local having a meal/drink at the small taverna there.

All in all, I would not hesistate to go back to Faliraki, in the months of May/June. Fabulous Greek people, food, sunshine (only had one afternoon of rain).

One last thought, the airport coming home - well don't be in a hurry and don't leave it til last minute if you are not with an operator. There are what can only be described as chaotic ques outside the airport but once you are in there, there are no problems.

Oh and a second last though - why are these planes we travel on so damned tight on leg room, the 757 we were on was just a nightmare. LOL.

Any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,447 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Got Back - Trip Report - a little long sorry.

Great report sounds like you enjoyed your holiday.

Just wondering, as you did the Afandou Greek Night, is Papa Ouzo still around? He was a well known face there years ago but a very wrinkly, old man then (over 10 years ago!).

Oh and i hope you spent some money in those shops on the way up to the Acropolis, a couple of friends of mine have shops there!!

canada
Level Contributor
603 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Got Back - Trip Report - a little long sorry.

I enjoyed your trip report...I'm glad your hotel turned out well.

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Got Back - Trip Report - a little long sorry.

Hi Marcus, Yes he is still there. He took quite a likeing to my hubby and they ended up having a couple of Ouzos together, mind you he had many, many ouzos. He really made the night.

Of course, those little cobbled streets with loads of shops - who could resist. LOL

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
258 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Got Back - Trip Report - a little long sorry.

glad you had a good time at the rodos sun is stella nicks wife not there with him this year?

meols
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Got Back - Trip Report - a little long sorry.

UK ROSE

I am thinking of going to Rhodes next week please could you tell me is it windy there???

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Got Back - Trip Report - a little long sorry.

Depends whereabouts you are staying. From my experience, and I'm sure there better qualified on here, Faliraki had a fair breeze but the weather had been very changeable. It wasn't over breezy, just nice and pleasant.

At Lindos and Rhodes old town there was no breeze at all.

Of course this is whilst we were there.

Wales
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Got Back - Trip Report - a little long sorry.

Hi! You sound as if you had a fantastic holiday!

I have recently turned 18 and my friend and i are going to Faliraki in july. we wanted a relaxed holiday and the price for the holiday was really cheap we had to have it.

I watched club reps a couple of weeks ago and now i am really worried about the night life getting out of hand.

also how much did it cost to get to the other towns you went to as i am looking for as much to do as possible.

thanks

Jazmine x

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
309 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Got Back - Trip Report - a little long sorry.

Jazmine, to be honest we spoke to the guy who owned our complex and the nightlife has quietened down a bit but it is still busy in July. Where abouts are you staying? Our complex was about 5/10mins out of the main Club/Bar Street area.

We hired a car so didn't need to use taxi's or buses but there were loads of people stood at bus stops so I presume it is fairly easy to get around. Ask on the board how much taxi/bus fares are.

Wales
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Got Back - Trip Report - a little long sorry.

we are staying in the same place as you.

not long now =D

we are quite active so we were thinking of walking a lot

xxx

yorkshire
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just Got Back - Trip Report - a little long sorry.

hi uk rose your holiday sounds fantastic can i ask you who you booked it with and can you tell me if it is a long walk from where the bus drops you with your cases. the reason i ask is on other holidays we have had a walk with the cases and my huband has a walking disability thanks

Get answers to your questions about Faliraki
Recent Conversations