We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandy Villas

Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Sandy Villas

Anybody stayed here ? Reviews go from one extreme to the other , some people loved it others hated it. Been to Greece several times so basic accomodation is not a problem.

36 replies to this topic
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,181 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandy Villas

If you have strong doubts it's best to keep looking. Find a hotel with more consistent positive reviews using http://www.booking.com

Edited: 1:19 pm, August 11, 2013
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,245 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandy Villas

I've stayed there twice, both times on package deals through Olympic Holidays. Each time was for seven nights, although in 2009 I spent one night in Oia and in 2011(?), two nights on Thirassia.

It's clean, tidy, with one of the larger swimming pools I've seen on Santorini. Typical 'Greek basic' and hardish beds, but not the worst I've ever had in Greece.

It's located a few streets removed from the main resort, in the shadow of the mountain. Having said that, it still only takes 2-3 minutes to walk to the main road (it brings you out right by Dorian's Bar - highly recommended) and a couple of minutes further to the beach road.

I use it when I want to be on Santorini and know I'm going to be out and about, so it's really only a cheap base.

My first visit, my room was semi-underground and facing the mountain, so it lost the sun early. The good point for this was that it didn't need a fan, the bad - my first first night jet lag headache increased due to the audible noise from the pool bar. Asking Sandy directly to turn down the music got me nowhere. (A walk and a meal outside the complex had me feeling better).

My second stay, I had a room on the first floor looking towards Perissa, which was a lot sunnier. I was on Thirassia for a few days, so not having AC wasn't a problem, though it did bring up another, which I'll talk about below.

I haven't read the reviews lately, but Sandy's usual MO is to hand out keys upon arrival and get guests to go to their rooms, and then she goes around to try and sell fans and keys to in-room safes. I've heard amounts of €50 for two weeks (negotiated down from €70) for fans. The safe was €15. This was back in 2009, so may be higher. I paid for the safe (small, only big enough for a passport - wouldn't fit an laptop), but declined the fan. I found that a firmly given "no" was sufficient enough to stop Sandy pushing the issue further.

Sandy also offers a 6 pack of water delivered to the room for €3. Again, 2009 prices. I also took this up, as I was tired and it was my first visit to Perissa, so I wasn't sure where the shops were at that stage. (The local Co-op has a pick-up and drop-off service for free if you want to stock up, which might be useful as they're the other end if Perissa, although there are closer, smaller shops).

I can't tell you what the pool bar food is like, as I never ate there. The pool is good and cleaned daily. The couple of times I used it, I had no problem getting a lounger. Rules state that you're only allowed to eat food purchased at the pool bar. I've heard other guests say that the 'Greek Night' is overpriced and not worth it. Again, never went to it myself.

Self catering supplies - some crockery and cutlery which is adequate to make sandwiches, etc., but I wouldn't want to have to cook, as its not extensive.

The problem I mentioned above: On my later visit, I told Sandy to her face that I'd be away for two nights on Thirassia, and I even told her the dates and that I'd be back on Friday. I took most of my things in my suitcase, but left a very few items of clothes in the closet and some wine in the fridge. Out of sight, but still in the room. Therefore, it was a total shock when I got back on the Friday, my door was unlocked and the wine was gone from the fridge. I found Sandy's total indifference to the situation was the worst thing. All she had to do if a staff member queried why the room pretty much looked empty was recall our conversation. Also, when I asked about the whereabouts of the wine (which was totally hideous and not worth stealing), was to say they were trying to save electricity and had turned off the fridge. They did return the wine, which they were keeping over at the pool bar. Nevertheless, it did make me question their attitude to the security of their guests. I wouldn't have minded if I'd not mentioned my days away to Sandy, but I took the time to do so.

Anyway - make your own mind up. Hope this helps.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,181 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandy Villas

Sounds like a good place to avoid!

Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandy Villas

Thanks for your advice.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,245 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandy Villas

It served the purpose at the time.

Zorzis in Perissa is another one I've stayed at. Much nicer.

www.santorinizorzis.com

Another hotel used by one if or regulars is The Gardenia.

www.gardenia-santorini.com

Edited: 2:23 pm, August 11, 2013
Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandy Villas

I can vouch for the Gardenia too - it's where I stay. A lovely place with a large pool, handy for both the beach and the main streets of Perissa.

You could also take a look at the Meltemi Village, it's a very popular hotel and again, handy for everything.

http://www.meltemivillage.gr/

Martin

London
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandy Villas

Sounds like much hasn't changed since. I'm currently sitting here at the poolside and have to say the pool is good. It is clean and big in comparison to other nearby hotel plus guest houses.

In general u get the basics. The bed and daily cleaning of rooms.

The bar is not so great. Food I haven't tried but looking at the prices u could find better quality and price down the road at grandmas receipe or gyro takeaway shop where pita with meat is around 4.5 euro to 2 euro at takeaways.

I think if I returned to Santorini I would find a place nearer the beach or elsewhere as I found it was always a bit of a long distance away from the beach. On my own I would not have complained but with kids the distance is a bit too long.

London
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandy Villas

Sounds like much hasn't changed since. I'm currently sitting here at the poolside and have to say the pool is good. It is clean and big in comparison to other nearby hotel plus guest houses.

In general u get the basics. The bed and daily cleaning of rooms.

The bar is not so great. Food I haven't tried but looking at the prices u could find better quality and price down the road at grandmas receipe or gyro takeaway shop where pita with meat is around 4.5 euro to 2 euro at takeaways.

I think if I returned to Santorini I would find a place nearer the beach or elsewhere as I found it was always a bit of a long distance away from the beach. On my own I would not have complained but with kids the distance is a bit too long.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,245 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandy Villas

Yep, its pretty basic (but clean) at Sandy Villas. Its useful as a base and not much else. Take the money you saved in booking this accommodation and use it for eating out.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandy Villas

To be fair it is clean and my room has been fine. If I was paying 200 pounds more then I would be unhappy but it is cheap.

Reply to: Sandy Villas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Perissa
Recent Conversations