We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shortlisted 6 budget accoms - help deciding please

Which Firostefani hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
803 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
Shortlisted 6 budget accoms - help deciding please

Hi everyone,

Hoping a few can shed some light on 'bang for buck / overall value' of the following places I've shortlisted (these are in no particular order):

FIROSTEFANI

- Villa Firostefani 20 euro pn dbl

- Vill Fotini 33 euro pn dbl

FIRA

- Galatia Villas 40 euro pn dbl

- Anemomilos Villas 23 euro pn dbl

IMEROVIGLI

- Merovigliosso 50 euro pn dbl

KARTERADHOS

- Villa Mano 25 euro pn dbl

If it helps, we will have a scooter or quad to get around and are aiming to be there 3 nights, 4 at most. We do not need a fancy place but do like clean, friendly, atmospheric accoms. Trying to weigh up being closer to caldera for walks and views or better quality accoms for same price.

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance of suggestions or opinions. :)

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,451 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shortlisted 6 budget accoms - help deciding please

What time of the year are you planning on being there please? It might make a difference as to how many people are around, etc.

Edited: 10:40 am, November 04, 2013
Level Contributor
803 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shortlisted 6 budget accoms - help deciding please

Hi Kennydon,

We will be there on 1 May following a very early morning flight from Athens (arrive 6:05am).

Will stay 3 nights (2.5 days) but we can allocate up to 5 nights if needed.

Given the focus of Santorini appears to be the Caldera views and sunset I am leaning towards staying at one of the ones within walking distance to the cliff (other part says we will have transport so what does that matter so maybe more central and out of the main cliff part would suffice).

I am being very undecisive! :)

perissa santorini
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shortlisted 6 budget accoms - help deciding please

if you want some near to caldera(cliff) then merovigliosso in imerovigli is very near to caldera, not on caldera but very-very near

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,629 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shortlisted 6 budget accoms - help deciding please

Hi wishago.

I don't know any of these properties but I would urge you to get a hotel with a caldera view. Santorini is the one island to get over sticker shock blow the budget and pay for the view. We have stayed at Blue Dolphin in Firaestofani an easy walk into Fira or for a lower budget look at Caldera Butterfly. We haven't stayed there but I have looked at it and would consider it when we return to Santorini. Its outside of town so you probably will need your scooter but it has views.

Santorini flickr.com/photos/…

Level Contributor
803 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shortlisted 6 budget accoms - help deciding please

Hello fotinos... I appreciate the reply about Merovigliosso - it looks pretty good to me for a balance of location, views close by and price, etc.

Hi stanbr... I looked up Blue Dolphin and it looks fab but too much for what I want to pay this time around. Caldera Butterfly I have added to my list if they come back with a good price. I like some of the reviews that say its nice to relax with the view without a zillion cruise boat tourists gawking at you like at some of the caldera view resorts at Fira and Oia. We will have a scooter or quad as you know so that solves the 'out of town' issue.

I was tempted to go and stay over the other side of the island as they have some nice places with great prices but I keep coming back to being close to the caldera LOL. Maybe I will even make Santorini one of our 'bust out the budget' stops for the holiday and consider Blue Dolphin and a few others. As you say, it is all about the view at Santorini. :)

Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
1,568 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shortlisted 6 budget accoms - help deciding please

Friends of mine always stay at Villa Fotini and loves it! Great family and has the best view for the rate they have! I have also met 2 different couples here who stayed at Anemomilos Villa and really liked it. Villa Firotefani gets very good reviews so it may also be an excellent choice. Manos Villa is on a small road very close to the main road between Fira and Messaria and can be a bit noisy from the traffic. The villa is faced away from the sea so not really a view but a quite large pool, though.

The rest is up to you..

Ingela

Edited: 3:30 am, November 06, 2013
Level Contributor
803 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shortlisted 6 budget accoms - help deciding please

Thanks Ingela, this has also helped me. I am slowly narrowing it down. :)

UK
Level Contributor
112 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shortlisted 6 budget accoms - help deciding please

Take a look at Gaby Apartments in Firostefani. The views are perfect and it won't blow your budget.

Firostefani is the perfect base on Santorini for exploring the Caldera side in my opinion.

Level Contributor
803 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shortlisted 6 budget accoms - help deciding please

G'day James, took a look at Gaby Apartments (the one on caldera edge in Firostefani) and they also look exactly like what I am searching for. Thank you for posting this info for me to explore.

Decisons, decisions! :)

Level Contributor
803 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shortlisted 6 budget accoms - help deciding please

Hi all, after more research, taking the views and advice above into consideration as well as a few PM's from others, I have narrowed my accoms choices down to double rooms with similar amenities, other than view, to (E = euro) at:

NOT ON CALDERA BUT CLOSE & EASY WALKING DISTANCE:

Villa Firostefani E20, Villa Fotini E23 and Anemomilos Villa’s E33

BASICALLY ON CALDERA CLIFF EDGE:

Merovigliosso E50 or Gaby’s Apartments E55 (grd flr) & E65 (top flr)

All properties listed have good reviews with respect to clean, basic rooms and friendly, helpful owners and will us up/drop us off for that cost.

We’re not worried about the evening view as we will be elsewhere watching the sunset (at Oia or Fira at restaurant, etc) and have a scooter.

Is the view to wake up to from one’s own balcony worth double to triple the price?

If the MORNING view is not considered imperative I think I'll try Villa Firostefani for a couple of nights then stay longer or move if we find one of us does want a sunset view from balcony overall! A compromise of sorts... :)

Thank you in advance for any last thoughts (and to everyone who has helped me heaps already).

Edited: 7:02 pm, November 12, 2013