We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No Star rating?

El Segundo...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
No Star rating?

Can anyone explain to me why some of the top TA ranked hotels don't have any star rating? I'm trying to decide between the #2 ranked in Firostefani, Hotel Ira (no stars) and the #12 ranked, 3 star - Cliff Side suites. Any help would be appreciated.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,833 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No Star rating?

Star ratings are not always what they seem. Unless a hotel has applied to and complied with the GNTO to receive an official rating any stars they might claim for themselves are just a self-awarded promotional advertising ploy based on what they think they deserve. This is a common practice but does not necessarily mean that a hotel is bad. Instead of trying to find one with a star rating you will accept, just go by the reviews. In the long run that's all that matters anyway.

El Segundo...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: No Star rating?

Thank you BLL - I will take your advice, and go with the reviews. I just need to be able to convince our friends that are going with us.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
126 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No Star rating?

Just to add that many hotels, especially in the islands, prefer for tax reasons to be in a "lower" category than the one they deserve.

I can give you tons of examples. "Enigma" (raked #2 of all Santorini hotels), is licensed as "tourist lodging", so its not even a hotel in the eyes of the state.

Go figure.....

PS. BTW, I would rank enigma a lot lower but thats just me, 262 reviewers say otherwise :)

El Segundo...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: No Star rating?

Many thanks to you all - I'm very excited about our upcoming trip!

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: No Star rating?

Also, star ratings are awarded according to the facilities available, not the overall standard of the hotel. So a hotel with a swimming pool may have a higher star rating than a better hotel without a swimming pool.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,833 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No Star rating?

And a hotel that has met all the qualifications set forth by the GNTO, but does not have an outdoor pool, may STILL qualify for a 5-star rating.

Edited: 7:29 pm, October 07, 2010
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No Star rating?

And to ADD to the confusion, a 4 star Hotel in Greece may not have all the features that travellers assume, from experience with 4-star places elsewhere -- another reason why the star system doesn't work in Greece.

A further reason: a hotel that has jumped thru all the hoops and has all the features (jacuzzi, wi-fi, plasma TV etc), may have a mediocre location, whereas a small family-run hotel with pine furniture and plaid bedspreads may have THE most stunning, jaw-dropping view on that entire island! And how do you award appropriate stars for that?? One of the dellightful dilemmas of travel in Greece :-D

El Segundo...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: No Star rating?

Again many thanks to all of you for all the wonderful feedback. I am now more knowageable, and ready to go.

9. Re: No Star rating?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:24 am, April 07, 2011