We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family travel to greece &need help!

Which Firostefani hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis, MO USA
Level Contributor
100 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Family travel to greece &need help!

Hi,

We are traveling to Greece this July and plan to arrive July 23 and stay on Santorini and depart on July 27 for Crete, then travel to Athens on July3 0 and depart for home on Aug. 2.

This is daunting to me! My husband is Greek American and we want to take our children to experience Greece. They are 18,15 and 13 yrs., we are also bringing Yiaya and Papou( in great shape). So 4 adults and 3 teens. We plan to visit Crete as it is Papou's village near Rethymno ( Kendrohani)and se Knossos. We will have been in London and plan on relaxing a bit on Santorini and soaking up the beauty.

We plan on Athens at the end as our flight home leaves at 8:00 AM.

This is our big trip so we don't want to scrimp, but with the Euro vs. USD we may be limited. We like the white-washed cave-like setting, pool for sure and smaller property with a view. We need 2-3 rooms depending on bedding.

Also, what is the best way to travel between spots. I thought the flying dolphin would be fun to Crete, but maybe fly to Santorini from Athens. We arrive in Athens at 5:30pm from London on the 23rd.

Thank you sooo very much!

Susie

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,030 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Family travel to greece &need help!

First of all, it's not that difficult to make all these arrangements with the help of those of us who have done so before. I'm sure you'll get lots of excellent advice here.

Aegean Airlines offers deeply discounted promotional fares to the islands from Athens that you can buy online, so if you're lucky you might be able to save some money right off the bat. I plugged in July 23 and found 31 euro tickets (plus taxes) to Heraklion, Crete and 94 euro tickets to Santorini. The "bad news" is that the flight to Crete doesn't leave Athens until 10:20 PM, and the flight to Santorini doesn't leave Athens until 9:30 PM. Is there any reason why you can't reverse your direction and go to Crete first? You'd certainly save a lot of money if you did, especially if you took the ferry back to Athens from Santorini. The highspeed ferry takes about 5 hours and the regular car ferry takes 8 hours.

http://www.aegean-air.gr/aegeanen/home/

Your other option would be an overnight ferry to Heraklion or Chania if they're available on July 23. You could also take an overnight ferry back to Athens from Santorini if you wanted to, timetables permitting. Those schedules haven't been released yet.

Getting to Santorini from Crete is accomplished by taking the Hellenic Seaways FlyingCat #4 (not a hydrofoil anymore).

http://www.ferries.gr/hfd/ (new timetable not out yet)

You need to let us know where on Santorini you want to stay, whether at the beach or on the cliffs overlooking the caldera below. Knowing your room budget per person per night would also be helpful. You need to make your village choice soon or stand the chance of not being able to find enough suitable rooms at one hotel.

You've posted in the Firostefani forum so let's start there. A good place with the view and a pool for a family would be the Villa Ilias or the Hotel Keti. In Fira check the Scirocco Apartments. In Oia check Volcano's Villas, Caldera Villas, Aspa Villas, Olympic Villas, Strogili Houses and Nostos Apartments. That should get you started and give you an idea of what your money will buy.

St. Louis, MO USA
Level Contributor
100 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family travel to greece &need help!

Thank you!!! I will check into your excellent information and I am sure to have a few more questions!

Susie

3. Re: Family travel to greece &need help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, September 19, 2009