We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milos in mid-late October

kansas
Level Contributor
162 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Milos in mid-late October

Thinking of spending three to four days in Milos in October. Is this too late to visit? Is the water too cold to swim in? Will businesses be closed?

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milos in mid-late October

First of all let me say that I haven't been to Milos in October so this may be wide of the mark but no doubt someone else will chirp up if that is the case.

Adamas is the main town on the island and where most people live so it won't be closed so to speak but do expect it to have gone into winter mode with very few tourist facilities open, particularly later in the month. Other tourist places on the island will almost certainly have finished. The ferry options for getting to and from the island will have also reverted to their winter schedules too. I don't know what happens to flights to the island at that time of the year.

The good news however is that the sea should still be warm enough for a dip.

Milos is a lovely island so I hope I am wrong and someone else can advise differently. In my ecxperience the only islands that are still tourist functioning at the end of October are Crete and Rhodes and they are getting to the end then as well.

concord nh
Level Contributor
4,301 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milos in mid-late October

We were in Milos mid-to-late Oct. and stayed in Adamas which had most tavernas, shops and businesses opened. Bus transportation was limited to with runs ending early afternoon. However we were able to take the bus to Tripiti & Klima several times which is probably one of the nicest areas for sightseeing of the ancient Catacombs and amphitheater, the sight where the Venus de Milo was discovered and the walk down to the colorfully painted fishing village of Klima a highlight. We swam in the Aegean late Oct. and it was perfect and the weather was very comfortable right through our stay. We were fortunate that our hotel owner owned another in Appollonia and offered us a round trip ride while he checked on his hotel, otherwise we would have had to take a very early morning bus (6 a.m.!) If you want to see more of the island a rental would be a good idea, but we were OK with the buses for a 5 day stay.

Edited: 2:13 pm, July 02, 2014
kansas
Level Contributor
162 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milos in mid-late October

My daughter was there in July and spoke of a boat trip to that circled the island going to sea arches and swimming. Will that still be operating?

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milos in mid-late October

As that sort of trip as aimed at tourists and not locals I think that it is extremely unlikely that it will still be running in October. Are you going early/mid/late October? The later in the month you go the less there will be in terms of tourist facilities.

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Milos in mid-late October

Even if there are no organized boat excursions, you could probably arrange for a private trip.

kansas
Level Contributor
162 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Milos in mid-late October

Thanks for all your help.

St. Gallen...
Level Contributor
25 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Milos in mid-late October

Contact Andreas Mallis at Andreas' Rooms in Pollonia. He runs unique boat trips on a traditional greek boat. You don't get this kind of stuff in Adamas.

Milos, Greece
Level Contributor
889 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Milos in mid-late October

October is a great time to visit Milos if you seek peace and quiet. Yes, the island will be running in Fall mode (not quite winter mode) with several establishments closed for the year, but there will be no shortage of restaurants and hotels at least in Adamas.

Bus schedules will be sparse, as there won't be enough tourists to sustain the traffic needed for them to operate at a profit. Ferries will run, but not the fastest and most convenient, such as the Seajet or the Speedrunner. There will still be flights, however, perhaps down to twice a day from 3-4 a day as it is now.

The round of Milos boat tour won't be running in October, but there will be at least one and probably more sailboats that tour the west coast of the island all the way to Kleftiko.

Whether the water temperature would be warm enough for swimming depends on the prevailing weather during the preceding month, and your own tolerances. :)

Andreas

DE for Milos

Milos, Greece
Level Contributor
889 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Milos in mid-late October

By the way, I feel compelled to point out that the *only* correct way to spell the fishing village on the northeast tip of Milos is "Pollonia".

Pollonia (plural, neutral gender, in greek)

Apollonia is the capital of Sifnos

Polonia is a country east of Germany

Every other kind of spelling is woefully wrong. :)

Andreas

DE for Milos

10. Re: Milos in mid-late October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, July 31, 2015