We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Platanias nightlife :)

Which Platanias hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Platanias nightlife :)

My boyfriend and I are planning a holiday to Platanias in May this year for 12 days. We were just wondering what nightlife is around the area? (We are in our 20s) Is it a small town? And if so, would we get bored easily or are there plenty of nice restaurants and bars for when we return at night? We are renting a car when we fly into Chania airport so we will be touring most of the days! :)

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,448 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Platanias nightlife :)

Platanias isn't a town, it's a beach resort with plenty of places to eat and drink. In May it won't be very busy, but it is the liveliest place on that coast. It is very popular with Scandinavian visitors, who I think it's fair to say, like a good night out!

It's right next to Agia Marina as well, within walking distance if you fancy a change. Old Platanias on the hill above the resort also has some tavernas.

Finally, there is a good bus service from Platanias to Chania, which in May should run pretty late. In high season it runs all night on Friday and Saturday nights, but I think in May it will be probably 11pm or so.

The first few minutes of this video show the main street in Platanias and Agia Marina. The border between them is the garden centre on the left at about 1min 30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l94XHIGv_U

Edited: 9:50 am, January 18, 2014
Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
10,620 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Platanias nightlife :)

Hi there

here's another link for more information :

explorecrete.com/crete-west/EN-Platanias.html

7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Platanias nightlife :)

Hi Steve! Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I forgot to mention, we are going from 27th May until 6th June, so basically the last week of May. Hoping there will be some kind of nightlife around then. Thanks for the video, I am really looking forward to my holiday! MG100 thank you very much for the link!

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Platanias nightlife :)

Hi,

I'm sure you'll enjoy your vacation in the area! Especially if you have a car so you can drive around the island and explore places. The nightlife is good that time of the summer and there are great Greek taverns to enjoy a wonderful dinner with excellent wine (please see my other reply about the topic here in Platanias forum for more detailed info & check my reviews and recommendations about restaurants etc!).

Since you're renting a car, drive to Elafonissi beach, it's a must! Falassarna beach is a bit closer and wonderful as well. Lake Kournas is a unique experience too :)

Have a great holiday in Crete!

Agii Apostoli...
Level Contributor
649 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Platanias nightlife :)

First go to the bars, Tropicano, Splendid, Eclipse on the village square, then after 2:00 go to Mylos club, mainly house music!

7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Platanias nightlife :)

Thank you Tiina and George! This is all extremely helpful!

I really must check out the beaches you have recommended. Hiring a car is probably a good idea, it will enable us to see more of the island at our leisure. The second part of our trip we are staying in Almyrida for 6 nights. What kind of nightlife is around that area? I'm sure by that stage I will be looking for some R&R, after visiting the bars in Platanias!! :P

P.S. George, I hear Splendid is a great spot!!

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Platanias nightlife :)

Hi,

No clubs in Almyrida! Just laid back bars. Try Kostanita's & Francoise's, they are probably better for young people. Otherwise, party hard during your 1st week then chill out on the beach.

7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Platanias nightlife :)

Yes, I think that is a great plan. I will be needing my rest come the 2nd part of the holiday! :) Thank you JWugg!

9. Re: Platanias nightlife :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, February 27, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Platanias
Recent Conversations