We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Platanias right for us

Which Platanias hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
13 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Is Platanias right for us

Hi, I am a big lover of the greek islands and this year am looking to go somewhere I havent been before and crete is one of those islands. Myself, husband and two friends in our early to mid 30's, looking for a nice beach holiday by day and by night lots of choices to eat out and a places to have a few drinks afterwards with music. Is this right for us or can you suggest anywhere else in crete or maybe greece?

Thanks

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Platanias right for us

Hi there

I see you have posted on the Chania/Platanias forum but could I just ask whether this is actually where you are considering staying as there is also a Platanias to the east of Rethymno, and both are beach resorts.

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Platanias right for us

This area west of Hania is arguably not the most beautiful, or the most 'traditional' of Crete but it does have a superb beach, there is a long 'strip' with lots of bars, cafes & restaurants. Touristy but not Malia if that helps! There are several resorts along there, so don't limit yourself to Platanias as Maleme, Gerani etc are all similar. One of the great things is there are lots of buses in summer, so you can get about easily & you have easy access to the stunning city of Hania.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,877 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Platanias right for us

I'll second JWugg's thoughts. If you want to stay west of Chania, I would consider Gerani or Maleme - or Kolymbari. I would also suggest you consider Georgioupolis, east of Chania: a much better beach, and, I think, a generally nicer environment.

Level Contributor
13 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Platanias right for us

Hi, Thank you for your replies, to be honest, am a little stuck with Crete as its not an island i've ever thought about before. GB - thinking of the Chania region, however open to suggestions. JWugg's - that sounds great, definitely not looking for a Malia type holiday. Albastron - will check out those places.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,448 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Platanias right for us

<<lots of choices to eat out and a places to have a few drinks afterwards with music>>

In that case I think you would find Maleme much too quiet. I've never stayed in Gerani, but I think that would also be too quiet for you.

Platanias would be fine for you. Just a km nearer Chania, Agia Marina, would also be OK as well. They are both lively enough without being anything like Malia!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11,838 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Platanias right for us

As the previous descriptions. Platanias is a modern long tourist strip west of Chania. Good beach and serves the purpose as it were, and matches your requirements. It is not another Malia that's for sure.

If you want a more villagy ex-hippy haunt type of place you could try Paleochora, good beach and plenty of tavernas and a few bars.

I like the resort, in season you can do the Samaria gorge from there as well. It is rather isolated in the SW corner of Crete, long time to get anywhere else.

Other places you might consider along the south coast are Plakias, Ag.Galini, Matala these are similarly village like and have sufficient beaches tavernas and a few bars but again nothing like Malia. Further east is Ierapetra which is more a Cretan town than resort.

7. Re: Is Platanias right for us

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:00 pm, March 09, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
15,877 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Platanias right for us

>am a little stuck with Crete as its not an island i've ever thought about before.<

I think you really should do some research. Buy a good guidebook and settle down with it, find out what the different areas of Crete have to offer, and get some idea of what you'd like to see and do while you are here.

Crete is one of the most interesting places in Europe/the world, historically, archaeologically, culturally, scenically, and in every other way. For example, all the important archaeological sites are in the east, so if you wanted to see them none of the resorts already mentioned would be right for you: you'd need to fly to Heraklion, not Chania, and stay in one of the resorts in that area. But on the other hand, the most interesting landscapes are in the west, especially the south west.

If all you really want is a chill-out beach holiday (no quarrel with that, I could do with one myself after an endless, never-ending English winter) almost any of the resorts mentioned would do. I prefer the south coast, though: it's generally warmer, and the mountain landscapes and seascapes are grand and in places spectacular. Paleochora, Sougia, and Loutro are all possibilities. Sougia has the best beach, Paleochora has two that are good, Loutro is the most picturesque but has only a small pebble beach. All three, Paleochora particularly, have the ample, varied, eating and drinking possibilities you are after, in much less developed and built up surroundings.

So if you're planning a holiday in Crete, a bit of research before you decide where to go will pay off handsomely.

Edited: 5:02 pm, March 09, 2013
Level Contributor
13 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Platanias right for us

Hi, Thanks for all the information, food for thought, the good thing is it sounds like there are lots of paces to stay in Crete, which is great. Thanks again, first time posting in a forum, well worth it.

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
10,885 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Platanias right for us

Paleochora a lovely resort

…imageshack.us/img545/2517/20130310100626.jpg

…imageshack.us/img32/2752/20130310100721.jpg

Get answers to your questions about Platanias