We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samuel Beckett

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Samuel Beckett

I am trying to find the location of the house where Beckett staid in Roussillon during the war. I also want to find the artist Henri Hayden's war time house.

Where is the Bonnelly winery and is it open for tasting?

Mentioned in this post
Roussillon
Roussillon
Gordes, France
13 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,139 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Samuel Beckett

You can find all of this on Google if you invest 60 seconds of your time.

I am assuming that this somewhat of a "Waiting for Godot" pilgrimage.

The Bonnelley family (from the play) run the Domaine du Coulet Rouge winery.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Samuel Beckett

Since you are so knowledgeable, would you do me the kindness and spend the 60 seconds and let me know where these two houses and the winery are located in Roussillon? Thanking you in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Roussillon
Roussillon
Gordes, France
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,139 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Samuel Beckett

You've got to be kidding....

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Samuel Beckett

I'm still Waiting!

England, United...
Level Contributor
6,376 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Samuel Beckett

Who for......Godot???

As for Henri Hayden......

He bought a country house in 1962 near La Ferté-sous-Jouarre, and painted many landscapes of the surrounding area.

www.tate.org.uk/art/artists/henri-hayden-1255

And I'd never heard of him before your post although I do know how to "google"!!

Edited: 12:18 pm, May 10, 2014
England, United...
Level Contributor
6,376 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Samuel Beckett

Another 60 seconds or so later..................................

La Maison Samuel Beckett, Chemin de la Bergère, 84220 Roussillon-en-Provence (fax: 0490 057 334; e-mail beckett.roussillon@wanadoo.fr.

The house remains the private property (not open to visitors) of the owners.

Isn't the internet wonderful???

Mentioned in this post
Roussillon
Roussillon
Gordes, France
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Samuel Beckett

Beckett met Hayden in Roussillon during the war. After the war Hayden purchased a home outside of Paris, which you have referenced. Beckett followed Hayden by purchasing a second house in Ussey, which is in the adjacent town. I happen to own one of Hayden's works that he painted in Ussey.

I am now trying to locate where Hayden lived in Roussillon.

Mentioned in this post
Roussillon
Roussillon
Gordes, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Samuel Beckett

Thank you. My earlier post was just sarcasm, which I apologize.

I have been extensively using Google and other sources to locate Beckett's abode during WWII in Roussillon, but am now trying crowd sourcing to see if that might help to better locate this house. I do know that the house is at the "edge" of town on the road going out of Roussillon and I have learned from friends who have visited that it is near the car park, but when using Google Earth street view, I have not been find it. I already have the listing of the house, which I guess is still for sale, but it doesn't provide the location. I haven't contacted the brokerage firm anticipating that they are not likely interested in helping "tourist".

(The house in Roussillon is perhaps the house that the character Mr. Knot lived when Beckett wrote his novel Watt during this time.)

I did see that a Bonnelly is now Mayor of Roussillon, and I assume is related to the winery where Beckett worked picking grapes during his war-time stay.

Also still looking for Hayden's house.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Roussillon
Roussillon
Gordes, France
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Samuel Beckett

What better location would you expect than the full postal address kindly supplied by Pamjo Hertfordshire above? Drive along the Chemin de la Bergere and look at the letterboxes along the road...

Mentioned in this post
Hertfordshire
Hertfordshire
England, UK
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Samuel Beckett

Sorry, but I believe that "address" is the postal code for Roussillon and I believe the street name is where the person who 10 years ago tried to organize a purchase of Beckett's house for a writer's retreat. I had emailed that person and am awaiting a reply.

In addition, I have used Google Maps, Google Earth, Bing Maps, and Michelin maps to find the house.

Also, Beckett or Hayden's name will not appear on any ;mail box. They are both deceased and they both lived in Roussillon during a short period from 1942 to 1945.

But thank you for responding.

Mentioned in this post
Roussillon
Roussillon
Gordes, France
Reply to: Samuel Beckett
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted