We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Les Angles for skiing with young kids next Feb

Which Les Angles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
12 posts
Save Topic
Les Angles for skiing with young kids next Feb

hi - we're thinking about booking a trip to Les Angles next Feb (2011 - yes we're planning ahead!) and had some questions as we will be travelling with 2 young children and not sure what facilities there would be for them there.

Does anyone know of a creche/daycare facility for 3 and 4 year olds that would speak English?

Does anyone know of a good hotel that also does food in the evenings? Our kids tend to be asleep by 7.30pm so eating out at restaurants is not really an option for us...

Thanks for any advice! Lucy

21 replies to this topic
Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,149 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Les Angles for skiing with young kids next Feb

"Does anyone know of a creche/daycare facility for 3 and 4 year olds that would speak English?"

There is a day care center for children from 2 1/2 to 12 years old and no, they don't speak English (why should they????? :-) )

It is open everyday from 8 am to 6 pm during French school holidays.

Open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 1 pm to 6 pm

Open Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday from 8 am to 6 pm.

Price 2010 : €12 for half-day and €17 for full day

card for 6 half-days : €60

card for 10 full days : €120

You have to provide a meal if your child is spending the whole day at the center.

Reservation compulsory. Call (+33) 468 30 92 32.

Requested : vaccination certificates in accordance to French law.

Maybe you could arrange with your hotel to have an early dinner? but I doubt they'll serve anything before 7 pm at the earliest.

London
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Les Angles for skiing with young kids next Feb

hi - thanks for the information on the creche, however I'm not sure our children's French will be good enough to deal with the necessities (their English quite often isn't)!

I've read that ESF do classes for ages 3 and up so am exploring this avenue instead...

Thanks again though - very helpful.

Lucy

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Les Angles for skiing with young kids next Feb

English speakers are few and far between in Les A which is one reason why we go there. There are only really a couple of hotels there. TA gets confused between this Les Angles and one in Avignon, so some of the hotels listed here - aren't.

Check flights carefully. Toulouse, Girona, Barcellona, Carcasonne and Perpignan are all easy drives to Les A.

After a couple of bad years, skiing there last year and this have been some of the best ever (although we were unable to go this year). If you are able to get out in the evening book your restaurant (even the excellent pizza opposite the bowl) as restaurant space has not increased at the same rate a the bed count.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Les Angles for skiing with young kids next Feb

At their ages, your children will do fine in a totally French environment. The only French word they really, really, need is toilette (the meaning is obvious). J'ai faim ( Jay fam [the j is soft] I'm hungry) and je suis fatigue (there's an acute accent on the e - je [soft j again] swee fat ee gay - I'm tired) are two others that would be useful. They can shorten the two to faim and fatigue and everyone will understand. Beyond that, children just seem to manage very well with other children no matter what the individual language. If you don't let them hear you being concerned, they won't be. Our children look to us for those emotional responses and then copy them, so just short-stop them on this one, and they'll have a great time.

London
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Les Angles for skiing with young kids next Feb

hi - thanks for your tips - yes - ESF do run ski classes for 3+ and do have some english-speaking instructors so as long as the instructors know to shout "stop" at them we should be ok :-)

rhodese
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Les Angles for skiing with young kids next Feb

Hey Lucy, have you manged to book your accommodation? My parents live in Les Angles and have for a number of years. My son and nephew have skied there since they were small children and I know the instructors do speak English. You shouldnt have a problem there, however if you do need more info on the resort just let me know and I will see what I can do for you.

best wishes

Emma

Essex
Level Contributor
27,173 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Les Angles for skiing with young kids next Feb

I have found this website for Les Angles which has quite a lot of information. I've never been there, but it looks like a place I should add to the list of 'must go there sometime!!'

There appears to be 1 Catered Chalet available, that might be a good accommodation choice for those with kids perhaps??:

http://www.lesangles.com/saison/

Les Angles
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Les Angles for skiing with young kids next Feb

Hi Lucy We live in Les Angles all the year round and so we are able to give you any help we can. The creche facilities are good and there has always been someone there to speak Englich. The ski schools are all good plus a good selection of private instructors. There are a number of family run hotels also B7B plus many self catering. It is a lovely place for children to learn "snow skills" which is all importeant for future ski holidays.

Dublin, Ireland
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Les Angles for skiing with young kids next Feb

Hi - we are a group of 4 heading to the Pyrennes the second week of Jan and we are strongly considering going to Les Angles. Is it a bigger resort than Pyrennes 2000 and which has the best slopes, restaurants and nightlife?

Thanks

Caroline

Edited: 8:49 am, November 22, 2010
Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Les Angles for skiing with young kids next Feb

I have only driven through Pyrenees 2000, but there is very little night life in Les A. It is a very nice village with some nice slopes. There is barely enough restaurant space for the winter crowds. But I love it.

There is snow there already, but not enough yet for them to start preparing it.

Reply to: Les Angles for skiing with young kids next Feb
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Les Angles