We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Way to get Dornbirn from Zurich

Which Dornbirn hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Madrid, Spain
2 posts
Save Topic
Way to get Dornbirn from Zurich

Hi everyone!

I need to get Dornbien from Zurich. I know that it can be done by train and that I can even book the tickets from here: http://www.oebb.at/en/index.jsp but it doesn´t seem very easy.

I´ve checked and I have to change train 2 or 3 times. How does it work?, I mean, do I have to get off in a certain station in the way and change to another train like if it was an underground?, do I have to wait until the finish of the line?, how do I get this info? because I only know the number of train for the moment and I would like to get lost XD.

I guess, if I book the tickets, I will get more info but I would like to know it in advance :)

Thank you very much!

3 replies to this topic
Madrid, Spain
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Way to get Dornbirn from Zurich

I´ve already found out myself.

Thank you!

Kapiti Coast, New...
Level Contributor
84 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Way to get Dornbirn from Zurich

we are doing the same trip this year. I think I have found that you go via Bregenz? How did it work out.? We are starting our journey is Paris but it seems easy enough to get to Zurich. Thanks.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Way to get Dornbirn from Zurich

You have basically three options:

1) You take one of the EC trains on the Zurich - Munich line which stop in Bregenz. There you change to one of the suburban trains (line S1 and REX trains) to Dornbirn which run very frequently. However, there are only few direct trains Zurich to Bregenz.

2) The other option is to take a train to St. Gallen and then there switch to a local train to St. Margrethen, the Swiss/Austrian border town. There you switch to an S3 suburban train to Bregenz. From Bregenz do as stated above. Although it sounds complicated, it is relatively easy and you always have connections.

3) Option number three is to go to St. Gallen, there switch to S2 and take it until Heerbrugg SG (two stations after St. Margrethen). There you change to bus Nr. 51 which goes directly to Dornbirn's center

Edited: 9:30 am, June 16, 2013
Reply to: Way to get Dornbirn from Zurich
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dornbirn
More Dornbirn Topics