We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Driving Route From Liberia to Santa Teresa

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
5 posts
Save Topic
Best Driving Route From Liberia to Santa Teresa

We are planning on flying into Liberia, renting a SUV and driving to Santa Teresa. I am seeing conflicting info on the best route and drive times to Santa Teresa . . . We will be there mid December and trying to finalize flights but it is somewhat dependent on the drive times. Costa Rica route planner gives a 5 hour drive showing Route 21 to Playa Naranjo then 160 south down around the peninsular. Google maps shows 3 hours and taking Route 21 to Jicaral and then South on Route 163 or Route 162 south from Canjel. I plan on getting a GPS with the car rental but would like to have a plan before I get there. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Driving Route From Liberia to Santa Teresa

Forget Google Maps! It just doesn't work well for Costa Rica. Use the yourtravelmap.com website. And yes, 21 to 160. I own a 4 wheel drive vehicle and I am a very experienced driver in Costa Rica - but there is NO WAY that I would attempt to take the routes that Google Maps recommends. They recommend all kinds of travel based on absolutely NO knowledge of road conditions, possible speeds, etc. The only way I would take that route is by horseback.

Boston...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Driving Route From Liberia to Santa Teresa

Hattie - Thanks so much for your answer . . . I thought Google Maps may be off, the routes they recommend looked inconsistent to what I was seeing on the two paper maps I had consulted. Yourtravelmap.com shows the route to be 5 hours for 200KM, in your experience is that a realistic time for that route? - I am only concerned due to flight times into Liberia and trying to make it to Santa Teresa before dark.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Driving Route From Liberia to Santa Teresa

I think that is a realistic time for that route, yes. If you are arriving LIR, figure 45 minutes or so to get out of the airport (less if you have only carryon) and about 20-30 minutes to get into your rental car and on the road. Also -- the airport is actually about 20-30 minutes from Liberia so you have a little bit of a "head start" there. It's an easy drive until you get south of Nicoya where things are a bit more rough and not as well-traveled.

Sunset will be around 5:30 and it is mostly dark by 6 pm and dark dark not long after that.

Boston...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Driving Route From Liberia to Santa Teresa

Hattie - I appreciate your insight - thanks for taking the time to answer my question - Best JP.

5. Re: Best Driving Route From Liberia to Santa Teresa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, June 27, 2015