We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Preferred sodas and/or local restaurants, live music

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
11,536 posts
59 reviews
Preferred sodas and/or local restaurants, live music

Will stay 4 days in Santa Teresa end of June at Otro Lado. What are preferred soda's for light lunch, good chevice? And some suggestions for early (around sunset) dinner restaurant, again with local flavors (and prices). And finally, where to go in the later in the evening for some (live) music and dance (to watch) and a drink or two? Gracias!

Jaco, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
1. Re: Preferred sodas and/or local restaurants, live music

People are always looking for a good soda. While I don't have a particular recommendation in Santa Teresa, here is a good rule in general. Pick the biggest hole in the wall in the area. Pick the one that might not even look like a business, almost like it is a room on someone's house. As opposed to the one with the nice sign that looks all fancy and businesslike. These hole in the walls are where you will find your best experiences, food and people. Enjoy.

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
38 reviews
2. Re: Preferred sodas and/or local restaurants, live music

Assuming you will have a vehicle to get around in because Santa Teresa/Mal Pais covers a vast amount of area along a road that stretches for many kilometers.

For a light lunch, head up to Playa Manzanillo, about 15 min. north, and enjoy a ceviche or local fare at the 'corner bar' (Atardecer Dorado). It is also a great place to watch the sunset.

There are many restaurant choices and you can choose to eat at any of the sodas scattered amongst the many others offering flavors from all over the world (Italy, Argentina, Israel and many more). It seems that the ethnic restaurants have populated the local sodas almost out of existence, so you really have to look for a soda and there are still many hidden away along the roadside.

For night life, there are a number of places, Rancho Mal Pais, Coco Loco, and the Lora Amarilla are the three that have music, dancing and a bar.

www.nicoyapeninsula.com has great maps and locations of restaurants, bars, hotels and their proximity.

Have fun and stay safe!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
11,536 posts
59 reviews
3. Re: Preferred sodas and/or local restaurants, live music

Jako and welfish, thanks a lot. Yes, a hole in the wall is what I am looking for. And I will have a car to explore not only Santa Teresa but also Mal Pais and Montezuma area. Thus any suggestions for these two areas are most welcomed. We will have fun, and hopefully we will stay safe.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
40 reviews
4. Re: Preferred sodas and/or local restaurants, live music

xelas I wish I could remember the names of the several places I ate but cannot. I often would just stroll down from my hotel and stop at whatever place looked interesting, not one bad experience. I will say this - I did stop at one place that was right along the main road (as most are) with a big fire spit. It was a very dusty May which did not make for good eating so close to the road (I eventually moved). So, something to keep in minding when picking where to sit.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
45,028 posts
30 reviews
5. Re: Preferred sodas and/or local restaurants, live music

Montezuma...La playa de los Artistas ...increible food...rustic but food is just the best!

roadadvisdor

waterloo,ON
Level Contributor
282 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Preferred sodas and/or local restaurants, live music

In Santa Teresa we LOVE las piedras Argentinian grill, they serve Chimmichurri that is to die for. Piedra Mar is a soda that is owned by a fisherman, so delicious seafood.

I have spent lots of time in Montezuma, Playa de los Artistas is a beautiful setting and we have been half a dozen times. The food is either awesome or not. It is mostly half and half, we go back because its a unique and beautiful beach setting. Now our absolute fave up in Delicias near Montezuma is Tierra y Fuego. Beautiful italian wood brick oven food. Open thurs- sun, i still dream about it.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
11,536 posts
59 reviews
7. Re: Preferred sodas and/or local restaurants, live music

Great advices. Will try at least some of them.

8. Re: Preferred sodas and/or local restaurants, live music

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 11, 2014