We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Safety of VRBO rentals vs. hotels in Santa Teresa?

Which Santa Teresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
Level Contributor
318 posts
80 reviews
Safety of VRBO rentals vs. hotels in Santa Teresa?

I have a hold for the next 7 days on FF flights into SJO on 12/21-1/4 but trying to do some research before we commit to the trip. Looking to see at least 3 different areas (including Arenal) during our 14 days if possible but still want to relax. We are a family of 4 - in our forties with 2 boys who will be 12 & 14 then - we are not surfers but the boys have surfed and they love boogie boarding. We have several 30-something year old friends (without kids) staying at Mal Pais Surf Camp during the last week and we are thinking of this area for the last part of our trip. Not sure if we want to be at the surf camp though.

When we travel, I strongly prefer VRBO properties over hotels because we get separate rooms, kitchens, laundry and a lot more space for our money. I have been reading a lot about crime in this area and I'm concerned. I found a couple of nice VRBO homes but now I am worried about the safety. Are we better off staying in a hotel or more organized place than a VRBO in this area? This place looks nice and it says they have security through Hotel Luz de vida but it still looks very open to me. http://www.vrbo.com/394335haf

Also, I keep reading about bugs and wildlife...we aren't super-prissy but would prefer not to sleep with bugs, lizards, snakes, etc. is that just a given in CR or can you find places without? This will be our first trip to CR and to Central America (I've been working on my husband to come for years so I want to be sure to be safe and pick the right places for him to enjoy- not too rustic- and for us to be safe.) He wants to go back to Hawaii but I want to try a new place. Would appreciate any insight!

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
38 reviews
1. Re: Safety of VRBO rentals vs. hotels in Santa Teresa?

Many of the VRBO rentals have someone guarding the houses. Some are in compounds, some have their rules about keeping windows and doors locked and valuables out of sight. Everyone is different. The best thing to do is find a rental and ask about security. Nothing is standard and nothing is a guarantee, even at the hotels!

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: Safety of VRBO rentals vs. hotels in Santa Teresa?

ask for referrals on the particular home and see

i like http://bluewaterpropertiesofcostarica.com/ but that for playa negra, tamarindo , conchal or flamingo areas

3. Re: Safety of VRBO rentals vs. hotels in Santa Teresa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 09, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Santa Teresa