We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling distance/time from Malpais to Playa Samara

Sidney, Canada
Level Contributor
61 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling distance/time from Malpais to Playa Samara

Wondering how long it takes to make the drive between the two places? The map I looked at makes it appear that it is a very roundabout route. Thanks!

Del Soul Surf School
Sports Camps & Clinics, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Pura Vida Surfers
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Tambor Adventure
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Believe Surf and Yoga
Yoga & Pilates, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Multi-day Tours
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,274 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling distance/time from Malpais to Playa Samara

Depends on the route you want to take. The coastal route can be very tricky and super slow - it once took me six hours to get from Samara to Malpais - during the rainy season, of course. Much of it depends on the "road" conditions and on water levels.

If you are talking about the Paquera route, I'd say you'll need roughly three hours with only a short section being unpaved. It is a much easier drive but is also much less scenic and adventurous.

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling distance/time from Malpais to Playa Samara

I agree with framptonian, if you are traveling the ocean-side route, do it only in the dry season. Many rivers become impassable and you will have to detour over to the main route through Paquera. We usually drive this route in January to May and it can take 2 hours, depending how often you stop to enjoy the view or take photos or explore! The coastal road from Santa Teresa to Samara is in good shape right now.

These days, I would say that the Paquera to Nicoya to Samara route can take up to 4 hours (avoiding pot-holes from Cobano to Paquera is time consuming), stopping for photo-ops, views and exploring!

3. Re: Traveling distance/time from Malpais to Playa Samara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 26, 2012
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now