We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Hermosa or Tamarindo?

Ontario
Level Contributor
354 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Playa Hermosa or Tamarindo?

Greetings.

Long time Mexico fan trying Costa Rica for the first time. Thinking of renting a condo and car to do some beach things and Eco tourist things.

Would prefer a location where we can walk into town/village. Don't need high end tourist stuff. I am being pushed towards Hermosa.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,023 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Hermosa or Tamarindo?

Hermosa beach in Guanacaste is a v ery nice area...and small village if that can be call as a village...but great base camp...and less people than Tamarindo..

I love Tamarindo but is a lot more touristy and a lot bigger than Hermosa...

Nice to have a car a drive around ...so many nice beaches to visit..and some great places ...try to visit Hotel Hacienda Guachiplein by Rincon de la Vieja Volcano...just about 1.5 hours from Hermosa beach...

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Hermosa or Tamarindo?

Both beaches are nice but there are are a lot more things (Restaurants, shops) to walk to in Tamarindo

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,023 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Hermosa or Tamarindo?

You are WELCOME!

roadadvisor

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
490 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Hermosa or Tamarindo?

Hey Mike,

Hermosa beach is a little smaller and quieter than Tamarindo, but is still a pretty area. Tamarindo, however, does have a few more things to do and is located on almost completely flat and easily walkable terrain. The beaches around the Hermosa area are mostly dark sand, while those in Tamarindo are white sand (not mexico/carribean white sand, but Pacific white sand).

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa Hermosa or Tamarindo?

Tamarindo is nice and lots of fun.

Playa Hermosa has many options too.

Depends, if you want more night life Tamarindo is perfect. A bit more relaxed , then Playa Hermosa.

Level Contributor
246 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa Hermosa or Tamarindo?

I travelled to both in December 2009. Tamarindo is more comercialized, but some great surfing. Playa Hermosa is more laid back - I stayed at the Hotel El Velero which is right on the beach - good surfing there and there was a great Tapas restaurant up the hill. I am heading back to CR in October and am going to PH again, but taking the day trip to Rincon De la Viejo. Travelled by myself and felt very safe!

7. Re: Playa Hermosa or Tamarindo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 30, 2013