We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
791 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria

Hi, I know that Malaria is low risk in Costa Rica, however Gunacaste and Limon seem to have warnings to take the pills, that are relatively low cost. I am going during green season, where there will be more than likely be more mosquitos. Any advice? Better safe than sorry?

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria

I can understand your concern, however, many locals and travelers don't bother, and use common sense with a touch of spray (try to get a green one) The problem with anti-malarials is they don't guarantee results and often have unpleasant side effects. Unless you will be working in the deep rain forest/jungle, I wouldn't bother. My 2 colones worth. Have a great holiday.

Edited: 10:44 am, June 04, 2012
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,434 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria

In my almost 60 years living in my country Costa Rica...until today I have not meet one single person that any time suffer malaria...maybe I´m lucky...

The best for you maybe bring or buy once you are here some mosquito repellent...

The Malaria pills can be worse than Malaria !1

roadadvisor

Playa Hermosa...
Level Contributor
867 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria

Limon has issues, Guanacaste none.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria

Limon has lots of issues but malaria is very, very rarely one of them! Bug spray is your best bet to keep away the mosquitos and sleep under a net or fan to prevent bites at night. Have a wonderful time!

5. Re: Malaria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 14, 2013