We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Papagayo.....Coati?

Killarney
Level Contributor
95 posts
56 reviews
Hilton Papagayo.....Coati?

I have not been to CR before. I am headed to the Hilton Papagayo, March 19th for a wedding. I am staying in one of the villa style rooms, what are the odds of seeing quite a few Coati and wildlife on the grounds such as monkeys?

Also how is the fishing in the area?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Hilton Papagayo.....Coati?

I stayed there a week last month and did not see a single monkey or coati at the resort, although I heard from people that heard from people that saw them... We even got up at the crack of dawn and hiked the trails at sunrise at the suggestion of some of the workers there, still nothing. It almost became a mission for several cart drivers; they'd recognize us walking around in the morning and excitedly tell us just hop on, they just saw monkeys and could take there. Time and time again they would have confused looks on their faces as the monkeys would have disappeared by the time we got there. It is as if we were shunned, shunned by monkeys :(.

Very disappointing, as we could hear the howlers every morning. We did eventually find some on another beach to the right of the hotel. We walked over the rocks and crossed a small stream to a mango grove. There was a whole family, including a tiny baby. While I hope others can reply with better stories, I found more people didn't see monkeys and coatis than did.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Hilton Papagayo.....Coati?

I stayed there a week last month and did not see a single monkey or coati at the resort, although I heard from people that heard from people that saw them... We even got up at the crack of dawn and hiked the trails at sunrise at the suggestion of some of the workers there, still nothing. It almost became a mission for several cart drivers; they'd recognize us walking around in the morning and excitedly tell us just hop on, they just saw monkeys and could take there. Time and time again they would have confused looks on their faces as the monkeys would have disappeared by the time we got there. It is as if we were shunned, shunned by monkeys :(.

Very disappointing, as we could hear the howlers every morning. We did eventually find some on another beach to the right of the hotel. We walked over the rocks and crossed a small stream to a mango grove. There was a whole family, including a tiny baby. While I hope others can reply with better stories, I found more people didn't see monkeys and coatis than did.

Edited: 3:14 pm, February 14, 2012
Killarney
Level Contributor
95 posts
56 reviews
3. Re: Hilton Papagayo.....Coati?

Thanks for the reply....kind of took the wind out of my sails lol. Well hopefully I will come across some wildlife!! Looking forward to hearing the howler monkies though!!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Hilton Papagayo.....Coati?

Sorry for the double post (iPhones, yikes), but the sound of the howlers is amazing. Usually at 5:30am or so. We had to be on the porch to hear it, but it's what I imagine a Big Foot to sound like! Very cool. I hear that if you find the rep for Issy's tour on the beach (I think his name is Michael?) and go on their Palo Verde tour you are almost guaranteed to see, and even intact with, monkeys. We didnt find the beach to the right of the resort until our last day. If we would've found it sooner we would've had a much more monkey sightings. And during our early morning beach walks we did see lots of coati paw prints, so don't give up hope. :)

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,883 posts
41 reviews
5. Re: Hilton Papagayo.....Coati?

During summer time some monkies move a little far from the beach side...but they are there...just ask locals for sure they will know where the monkies are!

roadadvisor

Gulf of Papagayo...
Level Contributor
29 posts
6. Re: Hilton Papagayo.....Coati?

Remember also that it's nature no body can controll it, sometime luck some times no, but for shure they arround the areas!!

Good luck

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
31 reviews
7. Re: Hilton Papagayo.....Coati?

We were there in Jan. and it seemed we were also shunned by those monkeys and their monkey business ;) We met a couple who had just seen them right over head on the trail on the lobby side, so we went right away. By then they had moved away from the trail. We could still see and hear them, but not up close. Every other time we took either trail - no monkies. They do tend to move around quite a bit. There one minute, gone the next. One couple saw a turtle while out kayaking. We snorkeled... nada.

We only saw one coati in the bush behind our bungalow. We saw a racoon dash into the bushes one night. We saw (and smelled) the skunk several times, iguanas many times on the grass by the spa side palapas, the cats a few evening by el Bocadillo, but that's about it on resort... unless you want to count the insects... spiders (tarantula included), praying mantis, stick insect, grasshoppers... all in XXXL size! lol Oh... and don't forget the birds!

We did Palo Verde and saw a TON of wildlife including howlers and white faced monkies that came onto out boat, crocs (not on the boat TG), iguanas, lizards, bats, and tons of birds.

Hiking in Ricon de la Vieja we saw white faced and spider monkies.

On the raod to Arenal we encountered a whole pack? of coatis at the roadside (someone was feeding them chessies... no, not us!... but we took advantage of the photo op)

So don't despair... get out and about and you'll surely see wildlife. Those little monkeys can't always hide! ;)

Otherwise, we loved the resort... (and the people and the country) Read my revew for lots of details. Have a great time :)

Edited: 7:29 pm, February 17, 2012
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Hilton Papagayo.....Coati?

Speaking of preying mantis and skunks, we had an interesting dinner at El Bocadillo one evening. A mantis landed on my husband's head, and being a good sport he let everyone take pictures. Just as I removed it, two baby skunks scurried under the table, between his legs, and dove into the pool. They took a few laps before departing, thankfully scent free. Yes, plenty of nature to be had if you are in the right place at the right time.

When we walked to the beach to the right there had to be a hundred perfect, tiny shells with little crabs (?) in them. It looked like the beach was moving; I had to do a double take.

I made a huge mistake during one morning hike and forgot bug spray. 2 weeks later and I am still tending to 40+ bites on my legs. Don't forget bug spray!

9. Re: Hilton Papagayo.....Coati?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:53 pm, June 07, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Gulf of Papagayo