We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tour companies/

Ravenna MI.
Level Contributor
84 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
tour companies/

Has anyone used avispas adventures?

If so what did you think of the tours you took?

How did their packages and pricing compare

with other tour groups?

we will be in papagayo end of Feb 2012.

Thanks

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tour companies/

We were unfortunate enough to book our trips with "TAM". We booked 3 tours with them: the river boat, the cloud forest and Arenal volcano. We were promised small groups and close to personal tour experience.

The river boat tour was first.At 7:30 HUGE bus took as first to several other hotels to collect people there. At the end the bus was almost full. Because of all the delays it took us more than 2 hours to get there and we only spent 1 hour in the boat itself (we were promised two).

Next was cloud forest. We had to leave at 5AM(!) and apparently the only reason for that was that we had to share a bus with people going to Nicaragua and the border is only open between 6AM and 6PM so they had to be back by that time. Half way through we were dropped off in the middle of nowhere and had to wait for about 30-40 min for another bus to pick us up. It was about 7AM and lunch was supposed to be included in this trip, so we only bought some coffee assuming there will be lunch when we arrive to our destination. When we got there we were taken right away to insectarium where we had a pleasure of staring at couple of butterflies for like half an hour. (I am sure you have a better insectarium in your home city). Then we saw 2 different kinds of humming birds(some green some blue, wow!) Then was cloud forest which was actually very nice. Anyway it was after 2PM when we finally had something to eat. Food was bad I would not eat it if I wasn't starving. After the lunch we had to wait again for about 2 hours because some people from our group booked zip lining (again we were not warned about this delay) The whole trip was a complete mess.

The third trip, the volcano, got cancelled and in less than 24 hours too. We just found a notice under our door in the evening. They could not collect enough people for the trip so we were to come in the morning to get our money back. No effort was made to send us with some other tour operator. We felt used and unappreciated. It was our last day in Costa Rica so we had no time to book this trip with someone else. It was a shame because this was the one I wanted to do the most.

Do yourself a favor and book with someone else or better yet rent a taxi for a day. For 200US they will drive you anywhere you want and you can stop when you want and eat what you want and you do not have to wait all the time so "TAM" people can make more money of you and if it is not enough they just get rid of you.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,782 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tour companies/

WOW...that is somenthing else...tahnk you let all of us know!

Very Sorry!

roadadvisdor

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tour companies/

We booked TAM tours for our Miravalles excursion, they were great !

But saying that we booked a Private Tour - which didn't cost us any more than the huge busload tour - maybe try that. It was just the 3 of us and the 2 tour guides and it was a fabulous day.

I guess it depends on what you would like - more 1/1 with the tour guides or 1 on 50 !

As well, we booked a private taxi for our Monteverde excursion. It was a long day but our fabulous driver took us wherever we wanted to go. We paid him a flat rate (plus a very large tip), we paid our own way thru the Hanging Bridges tour as well as the Cable Car lift, we also went to the Butterfly Farm and to see the Hummingbirds. It was a fabulous day, long but so worth it ! PM me if you'd like further information !

Gail in Calgary

Edited: 2:06 pm, February 29, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tour companies/

I am having hard time imagining who would willingly chose 1/50 with the guide over 1/1.

We were promised small groups, but misrepresentation seems to be a norm for this company.

We were not offered any options when volcano trip got canceled, it's the lack of effort that we found the most offensive.

The trip was supposed to be on Sunday. My guess is they would rather have Sunday off than accommodate their customers.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
620 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tour companies/

I have heard great things about Avispas Adventures. Amy, the owner, sends her clients to us when they want to do sailing/snorkeling/sunset cruises and I hear from the tourists directly about how pleased they are with the rates and flexibility and personalized service they offer.

6. Re: tour companies/

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:22 pm, June 07, 2013