We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour from Allegro Papagayo

Brantford, ON
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tour from Allegro Papagayo

We will be staying at Allegro Papagayo for a week very soon and want to do a few tours. I've heard that the resort does not let outside companies onto the property and makes it difficult to book tours ahead of time. Any advice? I know we could always book when we get there but that tends to get expensive.

We definately want to do a rain forest tour/ zip lining and snorkeling.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,406 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour from Allegro Papagayo

Dear NK08

Some hotels are not nice with tour operators...they want to have a monopoly about tours...do not worry once here you can book directly with tour operators...hopefullly locals...always ask if they have a ICT certification and if they are leagla to work in Costa Rica...a few jokers around promoting themselves or friends...and you will get most of the time what you pay for...deal direct with tour operators...you do not need any middle person!

Of course some people will said to despite the ICT certification...for a simple reason they do not have one!. ( ICT is .Costa Rica Secretary of Tourism..)

roadadvisor

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
607 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour from Allegro Papagayo

Unfortunately, when you stay at all inclusive resorts far from the local towns, it is more difficult to get information on ALL your available options. A couple big resorts that I can think of only allow certain tour companies to sell tours, and everyone makes a commission by selling someone else's tour. It is always better to book directly with the tour operators. I am not saying you will get ripped off if you book through a tour service (every company is a little different,) but if you are able to call tour operators directly, you can get price quotes and more clear information. For example, we have a sailing/snorkeling business here in the Golfo de Papagayo. We list our rates on our website and on our brochures that are around town, but some hotels have another version of our marketing materials that do not include our website or our direct phone number. Some hotels will charge you what we charge and advertise, but others might charge a little more, in order to make a little more $. That is the business here, it's just the way it works.

I always like being able to communicate directly with our clients too, because then I am able to give detailed instructions on what to expect and what to bring, etc.

You can google tours in the area of Guanacaste and Golfo de Papagayo, and do some reading here on TripAdvisor, to get a larger variety of tours available to you...because there are WAY more than what are offered at the tour desk in your hotel.

People are very helpful here in the forums too if you are looking for a specific tour on land or water.

Have fun planning from there...get to researching a little online and if you wait until you get here, getting to the local town of Coco is about an hour drive away, by taxi or rental car. Allegro Papagayo is pretty secluded.

There are many zipline and rain forest tours. Tour operators can come pick you up at the hotel, take you there and bring you back. Very worth it to hire guides to drive you around. People that come on our tours rave about the Palo Verde river tour. They see lots of birds, crocodiles, monkeys, etc.

At Rincon de la Vieja, the closest volcano to us, you can do a full day tour of zip lining, horseback riding, hot springs, mud baths, hiking, etc.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,956 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour from Allegro Papagayo

Papagayo Vargas is a good operator in that area - http://www.papagayovargastours.com/ Might try with them, very well respected and good reviews in the forum and on Trip Advisor. Also, FYI- Not a member of the ICT as far as I know.

Don't let Roadadvisor scare you with his ICT talk, he has his motivations and they are purely business related. There is no law about being a member of the ICT. and although this is a good indicator of a company, it is only a small part of what you should look at. The ICT's main focus is the promotion of Costa Rica and sustainable tourism, they are absolutely not a license to do business here.

If you want to learn about what the ICT is and isn't you can read the following article that I wrote to try and give people a more accurate picture of what ICT and many other affiliations mean - tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g291982-c170347/Costa-…

Cheers and have a good trip

4. Re: Tour from Allegro Papagayo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, January 22, 2013