We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arenal Area - Mid-November or End-November/Early December?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
72 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Arenal Area - Mid-November or End-November/Early December?

I have been spending way too much time overanalyzing travel to the Arenal Area because of the weather. I was going to come in early September, but have grown very concerned about the weather. So, I'm reconsidering traveling in mid-November (13th - 22nd) or late-November through early December (27th - 6th) -- basically right before or right after Thanksgiving.

I have read that since the area is a rainforest, there is always rain. That said, I have read/heard of conflicting time tables of when the green season ends. Some things say through mid-November, others say December.

We would be there for 10 days, with the bulk of the time in the Arenal Area. That is also were 90% of our adventures will be. We are planning to zip-line, canyoneer, raft, and definitely see Rio Celeste. Poas Volcano is also on the list of places to visit while enroute from the airport.

So, my questions are ---

-- is there a better time? I'm quite concerned about roads being OK during mid-November as its just after the most rainy time of the year.

-- is it best to just use a driving service during this time becuase of roads? Or is renting a car a viable option at this time? We would be going from San Jose - Heredia - La Fortuna - San Jose. Taking a bus is not something we will consider.

--- is one time better than the other to see Rio Celeste -- blue and not brown from too much rain. Same with Poas Volcano.

Thanks!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
72 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arenal Area - Mid-November or End-November/Early December?

I think I put this in the wrong section.... I cannot seem to figure out how to move or delete. Sorry!

Edited: 8:40 am, August 02, 2011
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arenal Area - Mid-November or End-November/Early December?

The first part of December should have better weather - but who really knows. This is a transition time from one season to the next so things can be unsettled at times. I think it will be better than your other dates, however.

For general rainfall information, look here - costa-rica-guide.com/Weather/WeatherMap.html

It's a good idea to have a car for at least part of your time in the Arenal area since things are rather spread out and this will give you quite a bit more freedom to come and go. Whether you drive from the airport to La Fortuna or hire private transportation is up to you.

And why are you going to Heredia? Unless you have something there you have to do, it's not the best way to go to La Fortuna. Also - you should know that the airport is not actually in San Jose but in the next town over, Alajuela, so there's no need to go to San Jose unless you have something specific to do there.

A highly recommended private driver is www.tucanlimoservices.com and you can also check www.anywherecostarica.com

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arenal Area - Mid-November or End-November/Early December?

The climate is good and roads should be ok in november.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
72 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arenal Area - Mid-November or End-November/Early December?

Hattie --

Thank you so much for the private driver info!

Regarding Heredia, I just used that as the closest city (I think anyway) to La Paz Waterfall Gardens. We were planning to make that our first stop after leaving the airport and staying a couple nights at The Peace Lodge.

And to clarify - we will not be visiting San Jose. We are just flying to that aiport. :-)

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arenal Area - Mid-November or End-November/Early December?

OK - Bookoftravel - just wanted to be clear......

Hoping you have a great visit!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,281 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arenal Area - Mid-November or End-November/Early December?

Great advce by Hattie...

roadadvisor

7. Re: Arenal Area - Mid-November or End-November/Early December?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, October 08, 2012