We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking Information on Occidental Grand Papagayo Resort

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Seeking Information on Occidental Grand Papagayo Resort

My wife and I have a booked and paid for trip to the Grand Papagayo Resort in April 2010. Am solicting information on your experiences with resort. Have read all the extensive reviews and am somewhat concerned about negative comments. We are staying in a Royal Club Junior Suite. E mail contact with resort reveals there are just four Junior Suites, so I guess those suites should be in pretty good shape. Would appreciate comments from anyone who has stayed at this propery, particularly, if you stayed in a Royal Club Junior Suite. Any other information is appreciated.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,782 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking Information on Occidental Grand Papagayo Resort

I have stay at the hotel but not at the Royal Club Junior Suite...the hotel in general is OK...to many stairs for me but incredible ocean views...and food was OK...

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
990 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking Information on Occidental Grand Papagayo Resort

Without sounding like I'm tooting my own horn, read my review of the Occidental Grand Papagayo from Dec. 2008.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g635535-d501…

I addressed a lot of the issues I read in past reviews as I was really worried before I went.

To make a long story short, it's a decent resort but vacation companies make it seem like a 5 star Sandals resort when it's not. My girlfriend and I loved it there and I could only imagine very picky people having a bad time there. It's far from perfect but it's a good place. It doesn't deserve the negative reviews it gets.

If you've been to a lot of resorts, I'd say it's a 3/5 but if you've never been to a resort then it's a 4/5 based on subjective impressions.

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking Information on Occidental Grand Papagayo Resort

Thank you for your comments. We have never been to a resort, such as this. Your comments make me more positive about it.

Stone Mountain...
Level Contributor
26 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking Information on Occidental Grand Papagayo Resort

My husband and I stayed there about 4 years ago and loved it. The rooms were terrific! I liked the decor and the choices to dine. The casual open air restaurant and next to the pool was perfect for lunch. We also enjoyed the specialty restaurants Italian and Oriental. Italian was the better of the two. The pool was very nice and clean. We saw hundreds of birds and got a real kick out of the howler monkeys. The beach is not great but nice to walk on. The location was great to explore other parts of Costs Rica. We did lots of tours and enjoyed everyone of them. There was basically nothing to do after 9PM except go to bed. We enjoyed our stay.

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking Information on Occidental Grand Papagayo Resort

Thank you for your comments.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeking Information on Occidental Grand Papagayo Resort

We were at the Grand Papagayo this past May. I really liked it. We were in the Royal Club. The RC did show age but we didn't have a problem with it. The food was typical AI food. Don't go expecting gourmet food and you will be fine. Everything is CLEAN and immaculate except for the pool chair cushions. Didn't bother us. We looked at the beach and thought that it was ok and left. A couple of days later we got in the water and was so disappointed that we didn't enjoy it sooner.

People complain about the stairs but honestly.....come on people. I am a 55 year old over weight lady that doesn't exercise and had just seriously sprained her foot. I took the stairs like a trooper. Shame on people that complain about them.

Don't go expecting the Four Seasons and you will be fine. If you expect perfection you might be disappointed but we look beyond the small things.

We have full intentions of going back!

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeking Information on Occidental Grand Papagayo Resort

Thank you for your comments

8. Re: Seeking Information on Occidental Grand Papagayo Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 05, 2010