We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours from Allegro Papagayo

Okotoks, Canada
Level Contributor
149 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Tours from Allegro Papagayo

We will be staying at Allegro Papagayo in April (signature) (2 weeks) and wondering if they have lots of tours to choose from and how affordable are they compared to Avispa or Vargas? I am really looking for an affordable tour to Monteverde and because we are staying for 2 weeks and would consider an overnight there. Gap adventures has wonderful affordable multi-day tours but all out of San Jose. Does anyone know of any good multi-day tours to the Monteverde area from Papagayo?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
990 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours from Allegro Papagayo

I used Signature Vacations to go to the Grand Papagayo last December. Their prices were actually cheaper than Avispa's... we used Avispa's though since their tours are more private and they're incredibly nice. We did one tour to Tamarindo with Signature though.

I only remember a couple prices.

Tamarindo shopping: $35

Tamarindo surf and shop: $70

Palo Verde: $75

I'm pretty sure the Arenal/Monteverde overnight tour was $360 a person.

Palo Verde with Avispa's was $90. Though for the extra money you get a more personalized tour and food/drinks throughout the day with options to stop off at other things along the way.

Gap Adventures is a different than Avispa's... they're more of a tour company you'd spend your entire stay with or part of your stay and then go to a resort. I see their Arenal/Monteverde tour is $1100 for 5 days... if you're already paying to be at an all inclusive resort, that's a lot of wasted money.

Staying a night is definitely a good idea... especially if you're there for 2 weeks and because both Arenal and Monteverde are 4 hours each way from the Allegro.

sarnia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours from Allegro Papagayo

Stated at the allegro Papagayo in December 2008 and Hilton acrooss bay in December 2007. We did a number of tours. We used a local guide name Mainor Lar Bustos who owns Tours Your Way. He did a great job each year. Loves his country and likes to show it off to all vistors. We went to Monteverde for one night. Stayed at Hotel Finca Valverde's. Little cabins in cloud forest, but in town, can walk to all in town (about $120 for a family of 4). At dinner at Morpho's great food good prices. When horseback riding up in the mountains, good prices great veiws. Mainor arranged what we want and he had a number of suggestions along the way. We did waterfalls and beach towns along the way. In 2007 did Arenal, great trip good private hot springs, great food,great lava flow at night, but a long day. We did the river trip with Mainor, he had us on a boat before all regular tours showed up, had a lunch at a great little family run restaurant in a small village, the real Costa rica. Mainor is only about $10 more then the larger tours. Can also book a number of tours from hotel as a number of company reps can be found up top of the Hotel. Can also rent a car at hotel if you like. We also did ziplining one day. All tours were great and just get out and see the people and the country.

3. Re: Tours from Allegro Papagayo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 pm, October 23, 2009