We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Occidental Grand or Hilton Papagayo Resort

New York
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Occidental Grand or Hilton Papagayo Resort

Hi,

I'm torn--which hotel would you recommend? I love staying at all-inclusives, but I'm concerned by some negative reviews that I've read about the Occidental Grand. Is the Hilton nicer? I've never been to Costa Rica, and it's just so hard to tell from the pictures!

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

Alajuela
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Occidental Grand or Hilton Papagayo Resort

Hi,

Both hotels are nice but I will go for Hilton. I had been in both hotels but I think the main difference will be the service much better in Hilton (you can look for reviews on Premier Fiesta Hotel they just changed its name to Hilton!)

You are going to enjoy Costa Rica a lot it is a very nice place with friendly people

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
990 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Occidental Grand or Hilton Papagayo Resort

I've been to both as well...granted I was only at the Hilton for a night while my flight was delayed. I preferred the Grand for a lot of reasons and found the negative reviews to be totally blown out of proportion. Read those bad reviews with a big grain of salt.

Some reasons I liked the Grand better...

- It's all inclusive.

- Smaller and easier to walk around.

- The beach area at the Grand was nicer, more secluded and had more shade.

- Larger rooms.

- Cheaper internet access and free wifi in the lobby.

- Better food and more options for food.

However, the rooms at the Hilton had more modern furnishings and the pool was nicer. I thought the service was identical between the two places.

The fact that the Hilton isn't all inclusive is enough of a reason for me not to go there. The Hilton was really expensive.

3. Re: Occidental Grand or Hilton Papagayo Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, October 12, 2009