We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Soking

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Soking

We are considering a vacation to Costa Rica, however we are both smokers. Is it true that you can't smoke on the resort? I fully understand not smoking in the rooms, restaurants or any enclosed spaces, but not to be able to smoke by the pool or the beach or outdoors for that matter. We are an older couple and do respect others while smoking, we do not leave or butts laying around. Could you please shed some light on this for me please.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,864 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Soking

Costa Rica has very strict smoking laws which prohibit smoking indoors, on balconies or terraces, pools & outdoor seating areas - basically anywhere that people gather. All the resorts however seem to accommodate smokers with odd corners where smokers gather. Whether this will cramp your vacation too much only you can decide.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,828 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Soking

Like CRfan said..

Here is a thread about smoking: Refer to post 16 where the poster actually quotes a reply they got from the Riu.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g309240…

The post is several years old. The laws are still the same - strict.... But I would suggest you contact the resort you are considering to see what accommodations they make for smokers.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
476 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Soking

When we were there in March, my husband was still smoking and we had a couple of friends, who were smokers, with us. When we stayed at the resort, there was designated areas for them to smoke, although far away from everyone else. When we left the resort, my husband and one of our friends, had a very hard time finding places to smoke. Even in parking lots, whereas at home, they would have normally been able to do it, were told they were not allowed to smoke there either.

4. Re: Soking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, September 13, 2018
Get answers to your questions about Gulf of Papagayo