We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long is the boat ride from Hopkins to dive?

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
How long is the boat ride from Hopkins to dive?

Everyone says it's really long- like 5 hours? I don't know where we are diving yet, but will probably choose the closest place. Maybe Glovers?

What other reccomendations for things to do near Hopkins?

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long is the boat ride from Hopkins to dive?

Depending on the size of the boat and how calm the seas are, it should take you 30-45 minutes to get to the closest dive sites on the reef near Tobacco and South Water Cayes. Glovers is twice as far. Here is a link to a good map of Belize which shows the cayes I have mentioned: http://ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/map.html

Near to Hopkins are both Cockscomb and Mayflower/Bocawina parks where you can hike and swim in pools at the waterfalls. You can rent a tube and go tubing at Cockscomb and there is a zip line at Mayflower. You can also go horseback riding, canoe/Kayak the Sittee River, take a birding tour, go cave tubing at Caves Branch near the inland Blue Hole, or if you are a bike rider, rent motorcycles. You can also visit some minor Mayan ruins to the south, but if you want to visit the larger ruins near San Ignacio, then you are looking at the 5 hour round trip and I would rather spend a night or two closer to those sites and visit them from there.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long is the boat ride from Hopkins to dive?

Potlikka,

I found your reply to be helpful. I am interested in traveling to Belize next year. I am mainly interested in diving (in the "great blue hole" as well as other sites). I would also like to go "cave tubing". I would like to stay at the Belizean Dream in Hopkins.

Would this be an okay place to stay for these activities? Or would I be driving and boatriding for hours and hours?

Thanks!

Layton, Utah
Level Contributor
183 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long is the boat ride from Hopkins to dive?

Just returned from Hopkins last week and loved it. Belizean Dream looked like a nice place, but I've not stayed there. As Potlikka mentioned there are good spots near South Water Caye and Tobacco Caye for diving (about 40 minutes away). Hopkins is also close to the cave tubing.

If you want to dive the Blue Hole then Hopkins is not the spot for you. It probably would take 5 hours. You should stay out on Ambergris Caye.

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long is the boat ride from Hopkins to dive?

Post #3 answers your questions, but I would pick Caye Caulker over Ambergris Caye for the Blue Hole. There is a great map on this web site: http://ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/map.html and you can see that San Pedro is just a little closer than Hopkins, Caye Caulker is much closer.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,238 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long is the boat ride from Hopkins to dive?

It's only about 20 minutes by boat from Ambergris to Caulkier, so I wouldn't let distance from the Blue Hole be the reason for your choice of which caye to stay on.

6. Re: How long is the boat ride from Hopkins to dive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, December 15, 2013