We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking - snake question - footwear

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
646 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking - snake question - footwear

I'm just wondering what the situation is at Bocawina and/or Cockscomb with snakes. I know that Belize has poisonous snakes, although I don't think I've ever seen one on my trips there. In Costa Rica they were abundant! There they told us to wear "snake boots" aka tall rubber boots when hiking in the jungle. Is it the same here? Or would we be OK wearing Keen types of shoes? I'm guessing that around the Hopkins area there are probably not many snakes?

Does anyone know about hiking in the Mountain Pine Ridge area? Again, we stayed in Bullet Tree, climbed all over the place there by the river and hiked around at Rio On Pools. We never saw a snake and definitely wore Keen sandals the whole time. We will be staying at Hidden Valley Inn this time. They have over 90 miles of hiking.

Thanks,

Nicole

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Hopkins
Hopkins
Stann Creek, Belize
Rio On Pools
Rio On Pools
184 Reviews
Cayo, Belize
Hidden Valley Inn & Reserve
Hidden Valley Inn...
472 Reviews
Mountain Pine Ridge Reserve, Belize
4 replies to this topic
Cleves, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking - snake question - footwear

We saw one tiny coral snake in Cockscomb and a large tarantula.. That was it. I wore my Chaco sandals.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
1 post
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking - snake question - footwear

we went to belize beginning of september 2017, stop for a swim at rio on pools and saw a coral snake right on the area where you leave the water. It was red on yellow so definatly a coral snake. So be careful. the snake however didn't like the attention of people so made his way in the bush quit fast. It's jungle so don't treat it as a city and you wil be fine.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
106 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking - snake question - footwear

We didn’t see any snakes in Cockscomb

Moon
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking - snake question - footwear

Would definitely check with locals. We did a canoe camping trip on a local river. We went out at night on the river and one of the tour company helpers saw a Fer-de -Lance on the shore and took off paddling in the opposite direction as fast as he could. We saw it too but were too dumb to evacuate as fast as he did. These snakes are known for their aggressive behavior and are not uncommon. I was strongly cautioned against walking around at night near one of the big caves also.

Reply to: Hiking - snake question - footwear
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted