We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golden sands for family of 4?

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
450 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Golden sands for family of 4?

We are family of 4 visiting Penang in April we would like to stay at Golden Sands but was wondering about the room size and bedding configuration for 2 adults and 2 kids?

Thanks!

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golden sands for family of 4?

We're 2adults and 1kid. Adults on king bed and kid on the extra bed. Their king bed is enough for 2A,1C and we would have squeeze in it but their extra bed is free so we just took it.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
450 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golden sands for family of 4?

Thanks for the reply which type of room did you have?

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golden sands for family of 4?

This time round we had seafacing (not sea view) room as they had promo. For this type, the extra bed is already built-in in the room (near the sliding door) and they just pulled it down. We used to stay at Hillview rooms. For Hillview room, they set the extra bed at the foot of the king bed.

Btw, Shangrila has this policy where kids below 12 eats free when adults have buffet. We had buffet at Sigi's but they charged us for kid and a couple of days later I remembered about the policy so called the guest services and they reversed the charges. But during Xmas etc, no free buffet for kids.

Also, if your room package doesn't incl adventure zone, you can buy adv zone passport for RM90 and its valid for 2days. It incl, 3x2hr play at adv zone, 2xhaagen daz ice cream, 2x20%discount of sigi, 2xkids lunch at sigi, free tshirt and 2xwalls ice cream. They also have RM50 passport.

Just came back after 4N there and wished we had stayed longer. ;-)

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
450 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Golden sands for family of 4?

Thanks for the feedback it is all very helpful :)

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Golden sands for family of 4?

You're most welcome. Have a great trip :-)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Golden sands for family of 4?

Hi Carly,

If you haven't already booked, I suggest try the Parkroyal. They have great sized family rooms. Queen sized bed for mum and dad and two single beds for the kids. Rooms and extra big. Plus they have a great kids club too.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
750 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Golden sands for family of 4?

Hi Carly,

Golden Sands is fantastic and super child friendly. While the hill facing rooms are slightly larger depending on which room you get the noise from the mosque can be quite loud and wake you up each morning. The sea facing rooms are much nicer albeit a tiny bit smaller because you have a balcony. How old are your children? They will provide a rollaway x1 FOC and depending on how old your youngest is a cot. My 3 yr just slept in a cot as it was bigger than usual more like a toddler bed. Another alternative is an executive room budget depending as they have a pull out double sofa bed which two children can sleep on. We just arrived back yesterday from our 2nd visit to penang and the golden sands and we just love it. I am already planning our next visit.

My reccommendation for the kids club would be to just pay entry fee which is RM 21 for 2 hours - they refund whatever time you don't use and we use to just go to Fruit and valley cafe which is a few shops down to buy lunches and ice creams and it is so much cheaper and super good. Please ask any questions and I will answer what I can for you.

thanks

Angela

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Golden sands for family of 4?

Hi Angela,

Where is fruit and valley cafe? Is it towards rasa sayang direction or hard rock direction or by the beach? We only went to mc Donald's and long beach while we were there.

Thanks

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
450 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Golden sands for family of 4?

Thanks so much Angela, we have been looking at the park royal as well because they have family rooms and still haven't decided which one! Did you hire a driver or do any sightseeing while you were there?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
750 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Golden sands for family of 4?

Hi

@i hate mornings - how r u again:) The fruity valley cafe is about 1 min walk past lone pine hotel, so if you turn right at the driveway of golden sands and walk for 2-3 min it is on the same side as golden sands, the old name is still up which is:"Fruits and Foods Valley Cafe" however they have just changed their name to Power UP Restaurant, both names are still up so it is very easy to find. They offer malaysian, chinese, western and local cuisine. It is one of our favourite places in penang. They are family owned and can make anything up to suit your tastes or for children, and they would also do take away and I would bring back to the hotel to eat.

@Carly - Hi, yes we did hire a driver through ocean jupiter who are reputable company, however the driver was more interested in taking us up to very touristy areas and we wanted to see more of the local countryside, when we said what we wanted he said he only knows tourist spots as they get a commission on this so you do need to be careful depending on what you want to see and do. I spoke with our friend Tommy Foo who is the masseuse on the beach outside golden sands and he has a good friend that is a driver that he reccommended but it was too late by that stage as we had already confirmed out booking. If you want to know more pm me and I can give you more details.

Angela